Santana admits to consensual sex with accuser
Johan Santana admitted to having consensual sex with his accuser in a November interview with the Lee County Sheriff's department, according to a police report obtained by thesmokinggun.com.
"[She] never once told me to stop or 'No' during our sexual encounter," Santana said in the report. "On the contrary, she seemed very willing and forceful. The encounter was completely consensual."
Santana was accused of sexual battery last October by a woman in Florida, but prosecutors dismissed the cased because of lack of evidence. The allegation was first reported Wednesday by TMZ.com
Santana read a statement Wednesday in front of his locker.
"I'm aware of this situation. I can tell you that police have investigated these claims last year, and I was never charged with anything, and the case is closed. Unfortunately, at this time, that's all I can say. And I have no further comment."
Santana was accused of assaulting a woman on Oct. 27, 2009, during a late-night walk on a Fort Myers, Fla., golf course, according to a police report filed by the Lee County Sheriff's Office.
According to the report - in which the woman's name is blacked out - Santana is referred to as a "friend/acquaintance" of the woman. The report states that Santana had sex with the woman against her wishes and then played tennis with a different person while the woman watched in a gated community in Fort Myers.
On the police report, Santana's occupation is listed as "confidential."
A subsequent report by the sheriff's office dated Dec. 8, 2009, states that prosecutors declined to pursue the case.
That report states: "There is not enough evidence to prove lack of consent . . . the alleged victim's statement is not consistent with other witnesses' observations."
Santana, 31, is in the middle of a six-year, $137.5-million contract with the Mets. He is married with three children.
The Mets, in a statement, said: "We're aware of the situation. It's a personal matter."