Terrell Thomas wasn’t the only Giants player at the NFL Play 60 event today. Bryan Kehl, Domenik Hixon and Ramses Barden were also there playing with the kids. A few other notes from the event:
- Thomas said it’s been good to see Aaron Ross working with the team during the offseason instead of spending time training in Texas as he has done in the past. Still, Thomas knows that eventually there will be a showdown between he and Ross for the starting cornerback spot. “Obviously I know there’s going to be some time of day that’s going to come about because it was his spot,” Thomas said, “but I did start every game last year and had a really solid year and I plan on continuing that this year. I know it’s going to be a fight and I’m looking forward to it.”
- Kehl said he has not been asked to move to middle linebacker but has been doing some studying of the position in case he is moved. “My mindset is we had two starters leave so we have two spots open and I’m just trying to get on the field like everybody else,” he said.
- Kehl also said he expects that the Giants will select a linebacker high in this week’s draft. But that doesn’t bother him. “At the end of the day they’re going to put talent on the field,” he said. “Competition brings greatness, so hopefully they improve our quality at linebacker and put the best guys on the field. All I want is a chance. Give me a chance to compete in training camp, which I’m sure I’ll get. You can’t ask for anything more.”
- One of the players the Giants are eying in the first round is Rolando McClain. He plays in a 3-4 system at Alabama and would have to adjust to a 4-3 with the Giants. Kehl also played in a 3-4 in college and adjusted. Will McClain find that difficult? “Not as much because he was inside in a 3-4,” Kehl said. “That’s a smooth transition. Outside in a 3-4, that’s more like a defensive end. It’s totally different.”
- Barden, who was wearing a floppy straw hat, played catch with the kids at the event and at one point tackled the Eagles mascot who was also at the event … Hixon completed a few no-look passes in his scrimmage with the kids, but when he dropped a ball that was tossed to him after the event there were a few people who teased him by calling him Brandon Marshall … RB C.J. Spiller said today on Sirius NFL Radio that the Giants called him last week to ask for his draft day phone number. Will they get to use it? Maybe. Something to keep an eye on.