Islip's Ronnie King (no. 9) is hoisted in the air...

Islip's Ronnie King (no. 9) is hoisted in the air in celebration after blocking a Sayville pass on a two-point conversion attempt in triple overtime to give Islip the win. (Oct. 19, 2013) Credit: Daniel De Mato

Matthew Selts had just scored on a 9-yard run, pulling Sayville within an extra point of forcing a fourth overtime against Islip yesterday.

Then, the Golden Flashes opted for a two-point conversion that would have meant victory.

"Everyone was tired and they made a gutsy call at the end to try and win," Islip coach Jamie Lynch said. "I give them credit for that."

Added assistant coach Lee Dwyer: "We expected that. I thought Sayville might go for two at the end of the second overtime."

On the conversion attempt, Jack Coan dropped back and flipped a swing pass to the right side, but Islip linebacker Ronnie King, blitzing off the edge, put his hand up just in time to deflect the ball.

And with that, Islip had held on to beat host Sayville, 59-58, in a triple-overtime epic -- the Buccaneers' first win over Sayville since 2010.

"It must've been a great game to watch," Dwyer said. "It was back and forth and nobody could stop the other. You're exhausted, so it's a relief and a rush of excitement at the same time."

Wynell Michaud's 20-yard TD gave the Buccaneers a 59-52 lead at the start of the third overtime. Michaud, on a run off right tackle, broke two tackles and fought into the end zone.

Senior Kieran Mullins completed 13 of 16 passes for a career-high 315 yards and five touchdowns, and ran for 97 yards and a TD for Islip (5-1).

Sophomore Raphael Alomar had 141 yards on five catches and a career-high three TDs. Tim Going had six receptions for a 119 yards and a score and, at safety, snagged two interceptions.

Coan threw three touchdowns and Selts had three rushing TDs and a 99-yard kick return for a TD for Sayville (2-4).

Selts' 20-yard TD run gave the Golden Flashes a 52-45 lead in the second overtime, but Islip answered on Mullins' 20-yarder to Alomar on a post.

Islip led with 38.9 seconds left in regulation, after Going's 30-yard TD catch. But Coan hit deep passes and eventually found Kyle Bianco for a 2-yard TD with eight seconds left, tying it at 38. "Hats off to them for driving the field like that in 30 seconds," Lynch said.

But on fourth-and-15 in the first overtime and Islip trailing 45-38, Mullins hit Alomar for a 25-yarder to force another extra session.

"Kids were making plays all over, on both sides," Lynch said. "This is as good a game as I've ever been part of."

Newsday LogoSUBSCRIBEUnlimited Digital AccessOnly 25¢for 5 months