Dakim Griffin of Half Hollow Hills East dives for the...

Dakim Griffin of Half Hollow Hills East dives for the touchdown putting Half Hollow Hills East in the lead 28-20 during the Suffolk High School Division II semifinal playoff game on November 13, 2021 in Brookhaven. Credit: Dawn McCormick

The Half Hollow Hills East- Bellport Suffolk Division II football semifinal was postponed late in the fourth quarter Saturday afternoon with Half Hollow Hills East leading 28-26. The game will resume at 10 a.m. on Sunday in Bellport.

There was 4:55 left in the game at around 3:45 p.m. when the game was stopped. Bellport scored a touchdown right before the delay, but were stopped on the two-point conversion, said Bellport coach Jamie Fabian.

Although other games around Long Island were restarted after weather delays, Bellport does not have lights on its grass football field and athletic officials and the game referees thought it would be too dark to play had the game been restarted, according to Suffolk Section XI executive director Tom Combs.

Although Bellport does have a turf field with lights, Combs said that it is his understanding that that field is not traditionally used for football.

"In the name of safety, they did what they had to do," Combs said. "There were still tornado warnings until 4:30. Then you would have to move everything from one field to another. It’s not an easy under-taking."

Fabian said he agreed with the call to move the remaining moments to Sunday.

"I agreed with whatever was best for the safety of all the players," Fabian said.

Half Hollow Hills East coach Alex Marcelin thought the game should have continued.

"All the momentum was in our hands and now we have to come back tomorrow to play five minutes of a game? How do I get my team up for that?" Marcelin said.

Marcelin said the game was delayed when weather warnings started to appear on cell phones of the coaches. "We could have finished the four minutes," he said. "It didn’t start hailing until 10 minutes after . . . We stopped it because of a warning. It didn’t ever start on the field. Physically the weather did not change."

The winner of the game will take on Lindenhurst 7 p.m. on Saturday in the Suffolk II final.


Floyd 31, Commack 16: Dylan Harris scored his third touchdown from 1 yard out with 35 seconds left to cap a 14-play, 80-yard drive that spanned 8:21 and helped No. 2 Floyd secure the win over No. 3 Commack in a Suffolk I semifinal.

Ryan Wald’s 39-yard field goal had pulled Commack (7-3) to within one score before Floyd (9-1) marched to the win.

"It was a battle, it was pretty much a one score game," Floyd coach Paul Longo said.

Dylan Harris finished the game with 138 yards on 18 carries. LaDuke Harris added a 68-yard TD run for Floyd, which led 17-0 after the first quarter.

Floyd is the three-time defending Suffolk I champion and will defend its title against No. 1 Whitman Friday at 7 p.m. at Stony Brook University.

Shoreham-Wading River 43, Miller Place 6: Max Barone ran for 170 yards and three touchdowns on 29 carries and Dylan Zahn ran for 148 yards and three touchdowns on 22 carries to lead No. 1 Shoreham-Wading River over No. 4 Miller Place in a Suffolk IV semifinal Friday night. Shoreham-Wading River (9-1) led 29-6 at halftime. Miller Place finishes the season 7-3.

Shoreham-Wading River will play No. 2 Bayport-Blue Point in the championship Friday at 4 p.m. at Stony Brook.

Bayport-Blue Point 21, Mount Sinai 14: Brady Clark ran for two touchdowns and threw another to lead No. 2 Bayport-Blue Point over No. 3 Mount Sinai in a Suffolk IV semfinal.

Newsday LogoDON'T MISS THIS LIMITED-TIME OFFER1 5 months for only $1Save on Unlimited Digital Access