Nassau Top 10 girls hoops rankings
1. Long Island Lutheran (12-1)
2. Holy Trinity (9-4)
3. Sacred Heart (12-4)
4. Massapequa (10-1)
5. Baldwin (7-1)
6. North Shore (10-1)
7. MacArthur (7-1)
8. Uniondale (6-4)
9. Kellenberg (6-5)
10. Floral Park (8-2)
Top 10 Public Schools:
1. Massapequa (10-1) the Chiefs took it to lowly Hempstead and Syosset last week, winning by a combined 70 points. The competition remains easy with Oceanside coming to town Thursday. Massapequa’s biggest challenge comes at Uniondale on the 27th.
2. Baldwin (7-1) the Bruins cruised past Plainview JFK and senior Amber Harrison had a career-high 26 points in a 64-45 win over Port Washington. Baldwin plays Benjamin Banneker (PSAL) at the Rose Classic on Monday before it returns to league and hosts Calhoun and Valley Stream Central.
3. North Shore (10-1) the Vikings continued to pillage their league with wins over Seaford and Valley Stream North. The biggest opponent for North Shore at this point is complacency as nobody in its league has presented a challenge. After a close first half against Seaford the Vikings dropped the hammer with an uncharacteristic 33-13 third quarter. Their only game this week is against Mineola on Friday.
4. MacArthur (7-1) senior Amanda Gross has a career week, setting a high of 15 points against Valley Stream Central only to top it with 17 points – all in the first half – against East Meadow later in the week. The Generals host Hicksville Tuesday in a pivotal game which will give the winner sole possession of second place in Conference AA-II.
5. Uniondale (6-4) the Knights went through a gauntlet last week and showed some mettle with a 41-37 comeback win over Freeport led by Aliyah McDonald’s 15 points and 10 rebounds and outlasting Farmingdale 47-44. Uniondale can relax this week with games against Hempstead and Syosset, who Massapequa dispatched by 70 last week.
6. Floral Park (8-2) the Knights kept momentum rolling after a great week in a rout of West Hempstead but stumbled against Great Neck North 56-47. After holding other top scorers in check, Floral Park had no answer for GNN’s Jennifer Doppelt who scored 17 points to go with 10 rebounds. FP has the weakest conference competition this week with Valley Stream South and Glen Cove.
7. Lynbrook (6-3) Brooke Gerstman had 31 points and six assists as the Owls outscored Manhasset 32-14 in the second half to win 57-37. Also impressive was the Owls defense holding Halle Majorana to seven points. Lynbrook goes to West Hempstead on Wednesday and hosts the suddenly surging Great Neck North Friday.
8. Manhasset (8-2) the Indians lost to Lynbrook by 20 but got back on track against West Hempstead led by Kaitlin Miller’s 16 points and 12 rebounds. Tuesday’s game with Great Neck North suddenly has a lot of meaning as a third conference loss would put Manhasset on the edge of missing the playoffs at the halfway point.
9. Garden City (8-2) the Trojans beat up on Jericho and Roslyn, winning by a combined 61 points. Garden City hosts South Side Tuesday before a pivotal game Friday with New Hyde Park.
10. Freeport (5-4) fell to Uniondale 41-37. Uniondale in its only game last week. A strong hold o third place in Conference AA-I is on the line Tuesday as Freeport takes a trip to Farmingdale.
On the bubble:
Herricks (9-0), Farmingdale (6-2), Sewanhaka (8-2), Wantagh (7-3), New Hyde Park (6-3), Mepham (6-3), Bethpage (9-1), Great Neck North (6-4)