This hasn't been a winning week for Hugh Jackman. First, the star of Broadway's "The Music Man" lost out to Myles Frost of "MJ" for best actor in a musical at Sunday's Tony Awards, then on Monday it was announced that Jackman had tested positive for COVID-19 for the second time in less than six months.
He then added that his "incredible standby" Max Clayton would be going on in his place as Harold Hill in the hit revival. Clayton will appear in the show through June 21.
“Once again, standbys and understudies save the day and, in this case, it’s Max Clayton to the rescue," said "The Music Man" producer Kate Horton. "We’re excited to see him perform alongside the wonderful Sutton Foster and we wish Hugh a speedy recovery.”
In his video, Jackman, 53, echoed Horton's sentiments that "the real heroes of Broadway are our standbys, our understudies and swings."
Jackman had previously tested positive for COVID-19 on Dec. 28, and the show canceled performances until he was able to return on Jan. 6. "I can't tell you how good this moment feels. Yes, we're back," Jackman said in an Instagram video shot in front of the Winter Garden Theatre on Jan. 7
Producers said that patrons with tickets for performances through June 21 can contact their point of purchase if they want to exchange them for a future date.