Chabad of Great Neck

Chabad of Great Neck Credit: Google Maps

More than a dozen teenage campers were treated for carbon monoxide exposure Tuesday morning, with one hospitalized, at a religious camp in Great Neck, according to Nassau County's chief fire marshal.

The Great Neck Alert Fire Company received a 911 call at about 5:30 a.m. for an activated carbon monoxide alarm and a report of several people feeling ill at the Chabad of Great Neck on East Shore Road, said Fire Marshal Michael Uttaro.

Fire officials determined there were high readings of carbon monoxide in the building and that several teenage female campers sleeping at the camp had been evacuated, Uttaro said.

In total, 13 campers evaluated by EMS were suffering the effects of carbon monoxide exposure such as headaches, lightheadedness and nausea, he said.

One of the teens was taken to North Shore Hospital for observation, and 12 others were evaluated at the scene, Uttaro said.

The Fire Marshal's Office issued several fire code violations for inadequate smoke alarms, inadequate carbon monoxide alarms, no portable fire extinguishers and electrical violations, he said.

Camp officials and the Kings Point Police Department, which responded to the scene, did not respond to requests for comment.

The Kings Point building inspector shut down the camp's heating and ventilation system, which caused the carbon monoxide to seep into the building, Uttaro said.

Latest videos