While no one was home at the time of the...

While no one was home at the time of the fire, the family’s pets died in the blaze, a fire official said. Credit: Joseph Sperber

Seven pets were killed in a house fire in Hicksville Friday afternoon, the Nassau County Fire Marshal’s Office said.

The fire was reported shortly before noon at a Gardner Avenue home after a 911 call from neighbors, Nassau detectives said.

In total, 60 firefighters from six local volunteer fire departments, including Hicksville, Jericho and Westbury, responded to the blaze, which was brought under control within an hour, according to Michael Uttaro, the chief fire marshal.

While no one was home during the blaze, the family’s pets — one dog and six cats — died in the fire, he said.

In addition, one responding Jericho Fire Department firefighter was treated at Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow for a minor hand laceration, Uttaro said. He was expected to be released Friday.

A message left Friday with Chris Moskos, chief of the Hicksville Fire Department, was not returned.

Nassau County Police Department Arson Bomb Squad detectives, working with the fire marshal’s office, said the blaze was not suspicious and was caused by an electrical issue.

Latest videos

Newsday LogoSUBSCRIBEUnlimited Digital AccessOnly 25¢for 5 months