One pic from Lhota's 'Can't Go Back' ad goes back only to Bloomberg
We went back.
We did some checking to track down each of the nine menacing-looking photos featured in Joe Lhota's latest ad, "Can't Go Back," centered on the New York City that Lhota claims Bill de Blasio's "recklessly dangerous agenda on crime will take us back to." The photos are mostly from the late 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s. But one of them is from a December 2012 slaying in the Bedford Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn -- a color photo when it appeared online, shown in black and white in the Lhota ad.
1. Rioting near Tompkins Square Park in 1991, by photographer Q. Sakamaki. [A previous version of this post incorrectly dated the picture to 1988.]
View the image: http://thevillager.com/villager_274/tompkinssquare.html
2. An overturned police car in August 1991 during the Crown Heights riots.
View the image:
3. A graffiti-covered subway car from the 1980s.
View the image: http://sarlakitublog.blogspot.com/2013/01/style-is-blood.html
4. “Rumble at the Venus Times Sq. Region 1989”
View the image: http://mattweberphotos.com/rumble-at-the-venus-times-sq-region-1989.html
5. "USA. Crown Heights, Brooklyn. 1991. Police rush to rescue an Asian couple who were attacked in their car by an angry mob."
View the image: http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=SearchResult&STID=2S5RYDZCNRQ6
6. "A homicide scene in Lower East Side, one of the highest crime-areas in New York. 1990."
View the image: http://www.qsakamaki.com/#/gallery/tompkins-sq-park-legacy/TSP_01_13
7. An officer at work in New York City, 1978.
View the image: http://lightbox.time.com/2012/01/23/behind-new-york-citys-police-work/#11
8. From Dec. 2, 2012: "Police are investigating the death of a man wrapped in a blood stained carpets that was apparently being pushed by unknown persons on Madison Street in Bedford Stuyvesant, Brooklyn this morning. The body was on the ground and cart was originally turned over."
View the image: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/dead-body-found-duffel-bag-brooklyn-street-thrown-trash-cops-article-1.1211815
9. A photo by from Richard Sandler's collection "The Former New York" of a woman aboard the CC train -- now the C train -- in 1985.
View the image: http://gothamist.com/2010/04/16/subway_9.php#photo-1
Watch the ad:
(Mobile users, view it on YouTube: http://bit.ly/GRl1Y4)