Suffolk County police said a woman was taken to Stony...

Suffolk County police said a woman was taken to Stony Brook University Hospital early Monday morning with unspecified injuries after being rescued from a fire on Elder Drive in Commack. The Commack Fire Department fought the blaze, which was reported about 4:45 a.m. The department was assisted by departments from Kings Park and Hauppauge. Credit: Jack O'Loughlin / Commack Fire Department

A Commack woman was hospitalized with burn injuries early Monday after she spilled gasoline while filling a generator, then passed near a candle that ignited the fuel vapors, Suffolk police said.

The Elder Drive resident, 40, had lost power to her home and had gone outside shortly before 5 a.m. to refill a generator, police said. Gasoline splashed on the outside of the gas can, as well as on her clothing, police said.

"The woman went inside to clean up when gasoline vapors emanating from the can were ignited by a nearby candle," a police report said. The woman's clothes caught fire and she suffered burns to her arms and back, police said. Flames also spread to her house.

The Commack Volunteer Ambulance Corp. took her to Stony Brook Hospital, where she was admitted with injuries that were not considered life-threatening.

The Commack Fire Department put out the fire, and arson detectives investigated the incident and determined the cause to be accidental. Police did not know the extent of the damage the fire caused to the house.

-- Joseph Mallia

Latest videos

Newsday LogoCritical LI Information You NeedDigital Access$1 for 5 months