A Dix Hills man was airlifted to a hospital Thursday night after suffering burns to his face, hands and upper body from a fire pit explosion, Suffolk police said.

A fire burning in a fire pit at a home on Gillette Street blew up about 9:40 p.m. after a gas can was placed next to it, burning the 45-year-old man, police said.

The patient was treated by emergency medical technicians and paramedics from the Dix Hills Rescue Squad, a spokesman for the Dix Hills Fire Department said. The man was then taken to Stony Brook University Hospital via Suffolk police helicopter with first- and second-degree burns on his upper body, fire officials said.

He was being treated for what police classified as non-life threatening injuries, and was conscious and alert upon arrival at the hospital, police said.

Latest videos