Firefighters fight a blaze in a condominium unit at Founders Village...

Firefighters fight a blaze in a condominium unit at Founders Village in Southold on Friday night. Credit: Randee Daddona

A man who uses a wheelchair was hospitalized Friday night with smoke inhalation after he was rescued from his burning Southold condominium, police and fire officials said.

Police responded to the Founders Village complex on Youngs Avenue at around 7:30 p.m., said Town of Southold Police Chief Martin Flatley. The man was cooking in the kitchen and may have started the fire, Flatley said.

A neighbor arrived to the victim’s residence and pulled him out, Flatley said. The victim was taken to Eastern Long Island Hospital in Greenport.

The fire was put out by 9:30 p.m., said Southold Fire Chief Peggy Killian. Fire departments from Cutchogue and Greenport also responded to the fire, she said.

Founders Village is an adult community for people ages 55 and older.

Biden has COVID . . . Atlantic Beach Bridge closure . . . Explaining Nassau transgender athlete ban Credit: Newsday

Spota released from federal prison . . . Biden diagnosed with COVID . . . Latest from the RNC . . . Senior softball game

Biden has COVID . . . Atlantic Beach Bridge closure . . . Explaining Nassau transgender athlete ban Credit: Newsday

Spota released from federal prison . . . Biden diagnosed with COVID . . . Latest from the RNC . . . Senior softball game

Latest videos

ONE-DAY SALE26¢ for 5 6 months

ACT NOWSALE ENDS SOON | CANCEL ANYTIME