A gas explosion caused a Mastic Beach building to partly collapse early Thursday morning, officials said.
No injuries were reported from the blast and fire at Neighborhood Road and Diana Drive that was reported to police at 2:27 a.m, according to Suffolk County police and fire officials. The arson squad is investigating, police said.
“It has been determined to be a Liquefied Petroleum Gas (Propane) leak that resulted in the explosion, severely damaging a portion of the building,” Brookhaven Town Chief Fire Marshal Chris Mehrman said in a statement.
The Brookhaven building inspector was called to inspect damage to the vacant store and surrounding structures, police said. The Mastic Beach Fire Department responded to the scene.
The damaged storefront bears a sign reading Neighbors Deli & Mini Mart. The deli was under renovation, fire officials said. Part of a side wall with a mural of the now-dissolved Mastic Beach Village was crumbled.