District: Concern for 2 Newfield students after alarming messages
One student at Selden’s Newfield High School threatened to become the next school shooter while another suggested committing self-harm on Wednesday, prompting police and school officials to intervene, officials said.
“We’re very concerned about both of them,” Roberta A. Gerold, Middle Country School District superintendent, said by telephone.
Suffolk police immediately responded after the students issued their communications and are investigating, she said.
The incidents came on a day when students in districts across Long Island walked out of their school buildings or participated in other demonstrations, joining a mass national protest to remember the victims of last month’s shooting in Parkland, Florida, and make calls for greater gun safety.
Both of the Newfield High School students were not in school on Wednesday; they expressed their alarming messages after the end of the school day, Gerold said.
The threat against the school or schools in general prompted the rapid response from officials — though it was vague and included no details — because it was in the manner of “This is why I’m going to be the next school shooter,” she said.
Suffolk police had no immediate comment.

Sarra Sounds Off Ep. 35: EI baseball, girls lacrosse and plays of the week On the latest episode of "Sarra Sounds Off," we look at East Islip baseball's inspirational comeback story, Jared Valluzzi has the plays of the week and Tess Ferguson breaks down the top defensive players in girls lacrosse.

Sarra Sounds Off Ep. 35: EI baseball, girls lacrosse and plays of the week On the latest episode of "Sarra Sounds Off," we look at East Islip baseball's inspirational comeback story, Jared Valluzzi has the plays of the week and Tess Ferguson breaks down the top defensive players in girls lacrosse.



