Huntington Town officials were joined by family, friends and former...

Huntington Town officials were joined by family, friends and former colleagues of New York City Police Officer Scott Blackshaw for a street dedication ceremony taking place in Blackshaw's honor Saturday at the corner of Valleywood Drive and Hillwood Drive in Huntington Station.  Credit: Daniel Goodrich

A former NYPD officer from Huntington Station who died of a 9/11-related illness had a street renamed for him on Saturday.

Scott Blackshaw, who spent six weeks working at the smoking ruins of the World Trade Center, died of cancer in May at age 52. Officials said his medical condition was related to the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

“My brother was an unsung hero,” his sibling David Blackshaw, 54, of Northern Virginia, said before the ceremony. “Obviously, when you run into a burning building you know what the safety concerns are. But for my brother and all the other 9/11 victims, they didn’t realize all the health risks they were taking and unfortunately that took the life of my brother.”

The Huntington Station corner of Valleywood Drive and Hillwood Drive will now be called “NYPD Officer Scott Blackshaw Way.” Huntington Town Board officials in June voted to rename the intersection.

Speaking from a podium Saturday afternoon, Huntington Supervisor Chad A. Lupinacci said Blackshaw had a selfless, loving spirit that rose to any challenge including bravery and sacrifice to defend life.

More than 200 friends, neighbors and NYPD officers attended.

“I’ve known Scott since I’ve been out of high school and we’ve been best friends ever since,” said Paul Scardino, 53, of East Northport. “This is an excellent way to honor him. He was a caring guy, but in the end he didn’t have any more to give.”

Former NYPD Officer Scott Blackshaw, who served at Ground Zero and...

Former NYPD Officer Scott Blackshaw, who served at Ground Zero and died of cancer, seen at his Huntington Station home on May 10. Credit: Barry Sloan

Blackshaw became aware of his cancer in April 2015. Doctors operated five times on the cancers attacking his brain and esophagus.

After graduating Northport High School, Blackshaw joined the NYPD in October 1990, worked at the 13th Precinct and Patrol Borough Manhattan South before retiring in 2012. 

After the dedication, friends and neighbors hosted a block party to celebrate his life.

Latest videos

Newsday LogoCovering LI news as it happensDigital AccessOnly 25¢for 5 months