Three suspected members of MS-13 who police said were involved in a Southold shooting between rival street gang members last week were arraigned Wednesday on indictments, Suffolk prosecutors said.
Jeremias Recinos Torres, 19, of Aquebogue and Pedro Santamaria, 31, of 118 Washington Ave., Greenport, Wednesday pleaded not guilty to first-degree gang assault, first-degree assault, second-degree assault and criminal possession of a firearm in Suffolk County Court in Riverhead, according to a news release from Suffolk District Attorney Thomas Spota.
A co-defendant, Walter Vasquez, 17, of 360 Second St., Greenport, pleaded not guilty to assault charges, the release said. And a fourth defendant, Freddy Torres Campos, 17, of Route 25, Southold, pleaded not guilty Tuesday to six assault and gang assault charges, officials said.
Southhold Town police said two victims were shot after they were ambushed as they walked along South Harbor Road near Route 25 in Southold shortly after 12:20 a.m. Oct. 14.
The shootings appear to be rooted in a dispute between some of the suspects and the victims a few days earlier in Third Street Park in Greenport, police said, adding that the defendants noticed the victims, both believed to be members of the street gang Mara-18, walking near South Harbor Road and Route 25.
Police said as many as five shots were fired, and one victim also was attacked with a machete.
All of the defendants are being held on $500,000 cash or $1 million bond and are due back in court next month.
Eric Besso of Sayville, who represents Campos, declined to comment.