Melody Anne Butler and her husband, Brendan, were watching the Mets game at home in Lindenhurst, and nodding off to sleep, when her mother texted her the news: "Turn on the news quick! We have Osama."

After switching to the news and confirming that Osama bin Laden had been killed, the couple grabbed pots and pans and went outside to celebrate -- "just like we do on New Year's Eve," Melody Butler said.

Americans who had spent years listening to rumors of bin Laden's whereabouts, got the news of his death in variety of ways.

Many, like the Butlers, were watching TV at home. Thousands were Mets or Phillies fans watching the game in Philadelphia.

So many others slept through the whole thing, only to find out first thing the morning.

Angelica Wittstruck, 21, of New Hyde Park, was working on a study guide at Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., when she heard a commotion outside her dorm window.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

"I heard screaming and just a commotion, lots of noise outside," she said. "I opened up my window and there was a boy on ground level waving up at me and screaming, 'Osama is dead!'"

"I ran to turn on the news," she continued. "The campus was a complete madhouse. The Metro closes at midnight so people were walking toward the White House in droves, or they were in cars honking horns on the way to White House. I didn't go. I was listening to the speech on television and I was just keeping my friends who went updated."

Lauren Lily Foschino, 18, of Massapequa, was in the Lincoln Tunnel, returning from her a visit to New Jersey with her boyfriend, Massapequa volunteer firefighter Jimmy Montario.

Montario got a text message from a service that monitors radio emergency frequencies notifying people that President Barack Obama was going to make a statement soon.

"So we put on 1010 WINS [radio] in the car, and going through the Lincoln Tunnel the signal kept going in and out and we were trying to get out as fast as we can," she said.

"Going through the Queens Midtown Tunnel we lost [the] signal completely but we got out just in time to hear the amazing news," Foschino said. "We actually thought about turning around and going to the White House to dance around but we had been driving home from New Jersey and were too tired."