Some moving and shaking in this week's rankings, but Garden City still remains at the top despite its first loss of the season to nationally ranked St. Paul's of Maryland. Class C teams Manhasset and Cold Spring Harbor each jump up two spots after impressive weeks. They should play some fantastic games when they meet this season. In other moves, Hicksville falls a few rungs and Syosset enters the Top 10.
1. Garden City (3-1): The Trojans held off South Side, 3-2, in double overtime on a goal by Patric Berkery on Tuesday. On Saturday, Garden City lost to St. Paul’s (Md.), 7-6, on the road in Baltimore. Tom Gordon had three goals in that one and Berkery two goals and one assist.
2. Chaminade (4-1): A smooth week for the Flyers. They beat Kellenberg, 17-0, and Iona Prep, 13-4, in the CHSAA.
3. Manhasset (5-0): Syracuse-bound Ricky Buhr won 12 of 14 faceoffs for Manhasset its 12-3 win over nationally ranked and previously unbeaten John Jay on Friday. Chris Cook had four goals and Drew Belinsky had three goals and one assist. Manhasset is off to a strong start.
4. Wantagh (6-1): The offense continues to put up big numbers. Wantagh beat Lynbrook, 17-8, on Saturday and took out Massapequa, 16-8 on Wednesday.
5. Cold Spring Harbor (7-0): The Seahawks beat Hicksville, 8-7, with 59 seconds left in double overtime on Chris Moriarty’s winner on Wednesday. They had another close game Saturday: a 6-5 win against Huntington on a Christian Kennedy goal with 2:02 left.
6. Hicksville (4-1): The defending county champs fell to CSH, but certainly didn’t look bad in defeat. James Lang on defense and Joe Leonard and Brandon Gamblin on offense lead them. The Comets rebounded with a 10-9 double OT win over Syosset. Terence Pfeifer scored off an assist from Tim Parker (three assists) with 1:56 left in the second overtime.
7. Baldwin (6-0): Kyle Rebman had six goals and two assists in a 14-7 win over East Meadow. Rebman had four in a 10-5 win against Seaford.
8. Syosset (2-3): Quite a week for the Braves. On April 3, they beat Sachem North, which knocked off West Islip, 8-7 in overtime. Then they got an 11-8 win on Thursday over South Side, which pushed Garden City into two overtimes. To close out the week, Syosset fell to Hicksville, 10-9, in double overtime on Saturday.
9. Lynbrook (4-2): The Owls beat Farmingdale, 12-5, and lost to high-scoring Wantagh.
10. Farmingdale (3-2): Beat Port Washington, 9-5, on Saturday after losing to Lynbrook on Wednesday. The Dalers still hold a win over Wantagh.