The fatal shooting of a New York City police officer from Long Island on Friday was the latest in a year that has seen police killings in Louisiana, Dallas, and most recently, Iowa. Here’s a look at some of the other recent killings of police officers in New York and around the country.
- November 4, 2016: Officer Paul Tuozzolo, 41, of Huntington was shot during a shootout in the Bronx, and later died in the hospital.
- October 20, 2015: Det. Randolph Holder, 32, was gunned down along the FDR Drive in Manhattan while he was pursuing a suspect in a shooting.
- May 2, 2015: NYPD Det. Brian Moore, 25, also a Long Island resident, was killed after he was shot in the head during a street stop in Queens Village.
- Dec. 20, 2014: NYPD Detectives Wenjian Liu, 32, and Rafael Ramos, 40, were gunned down as they sat in a patrol car in Brooklyn.
- Oct. 23, 2012: Nassau County police officer Arthur Lopez, 29, of Babylon was shot in the chest during a car stop on the Nassau-Queens border.
- November 2, 2016: Two Des Moines, Iowa area police officers were shot in separate ambush-style attacks while they were sitting in their patrol cars.
- July 17, 2016: An armed Missouri man ambushed and killed three officers in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- July 7, 2016: Five Dallas police officers die after a gunman opened fire on officers working at a protest about recent killings by police of black men in the U.S., marking the deadliest day for American law enforcement since Sept. 11, 2001.
- July 13, 2014: A Jersey City, New Jersey officer was shot in the head by a man who had grabbed a security officer’s gun.
- May 9, 2015: Two Hattiesburg, Mississippi, police officers were shot to death during a traffic stop.
- September 12, 2014: A Pennsylvania state trooper is killed after he and another officer were ambushed outside of a police barracks late at night.
- June 8, 2014: A man and a woman ambushed and fatally shot two police officers eating lunch at a Las Vegas pizza restaurant.
- May 25, 2013: Bardstown, Kentucky Police Officer Jason Ellis was fatally shot in an ambush as he cleared debris from a parkway exit ramp.
- May 20, 2010: Two West Memphis, Arkansas, police officers doing anti-drug work were shot to death by two men wielding AK-47s along a busy Arkansas interstate.
- — associated press and newsday staff