The U.S. Department of Justice logo is seen on a...

The U.S. Department of Justice logo is seen on a podium before a news conference in Washington. Credit: AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Julia Demaree Nikhinson

Reputed Gambino crime family member Angelo Ruggiero Jr., who has spent over 10 months in a federal jail on the alleged NBA card game fixing case, was freed on bail last week to get some medical treatment, federal court records revealed.

Ruggiero, 54, was ordered released on Thursday on a $5 million bond signed by his wife, Dawn, and approved by Brooklyn federal Magistrate Judge Clay Kaminsky, the records show.

The release order said Ruggiero was being released for the "purpose of receiving medical treatment," and that the court was to be given a status report about his condition by Aug. 28.

The exact nature of Ruggiero’s medical needs was not spelled out in the court records. But a source familiar with his case who did not want to be identified said Ruggiero has suffered bouts of vertigo. Ruggiero’s father, Angelo Ruggiero, once a confidant of the late Gambino crime boss John Gotti, died of cancer at age 49 in 1989.

Ruggiero had been held at the federal detention center in Brooklyn since his arrest in October on federal wire fraud and other charges in the massive mob-linked indictment of 31 people for allegedly taking part in a card game fixing fraud, involving some NBA personalities. Before the request for medical treatment, previous attempts by Ruggiero to get bail had failed.

Last month Ruggiero pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud in the case and is expected to face more than 5 years in prison when he is sentenced later this year. He will be credited with time already served in custody.

Under the terms of his bail, Ruggiero’s wife has technical custody of him at their Howard Beach home, which he is not to leave except for medical appointments, court appearances and meetings with his attorney. Ruggiero also is barred from trying to contact witnesses and victims in the federal cases, as well as his co-defendants unless in the presence of his attorney.

Defense attorney James Froccaro Jr., of Port Washington, who filed papers requesting the medical bail, declined to comment Monday.

A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Brooklyn also declined to comment

Ruggiero was part of a large FBI roundup of suspects last fall, including a number of reputed organized crimes, charged with being part of illegal, rigged poker games in Manhattan, Staten Island and East Hampton. Among those charged was Chauncey Billups, head coach of the Portland Trail Blazers of the NBA. After he was charged, Billups was placed on leave from his coaching job.

Since the initial arrests, over a dozen defendants, including Ruggiero, have decided to plead guilty and more pleas are expected, according to court papers.

But a number of defendants, such as Ernest Aiello, 47, of Wantagh, a reputed high-ranked member of the Bonanno crime family, and Matthew Daddino, 44, a reputed member of the Genovese crime family, have so far decided to go on trial. Billups also is preparing for trial. Brooklyn federal judge Ramon E. Reyes Jr., has set initial jury selection in the case for late November.

Get the latest news and more great videos at NewsdayTV Credit: Newsday

New tech to ID victims ... Out East: What's buzzing at farm? ... Get the latest news and more great videos at NewsdayTV

Get the latest news and more great videos at NewsdayTV Credit: Newsday

New tech to ID victims ... Out East: What's buzzing at farm? ... Get the latest news and more great videos at NewsdayTV

SUBSCRIBE

Unlimited Digital AccessOnly 25¢for 6 months

ACT NOWSALE ENDS SOON | CANCEL ANYTIME