Mark Soto, Xavier Herbert-Gumbs arrested, $3M worth of cocaine seized, authorities say
A private in the U.S. Army Reserves and another man are facing drug-related charges after authorities seized $3 million worth of cocaine shipped from Boston to New York City.
Mark Soto, 23, and Xavier Herbert-Gumbs, 24, were arraigned Friday in Manhattan on charges of criminal possession of a controlled substance, according to a statement from Bridget G. Brennan, New York City’s special narcotics prosecutor. Bail was set at $400,000.
Both Soto, who’s in the Army Reserves, and Herbert-Gumbs live in Puerto Rico.
An ongoing investigation by state and federal prosecutors identified the pair as members of a major narcotics trafficking network. Both were arrested Thursday during traffic stops in the Bronx.
Authorities say Herbert-Gumbs possessed 110 pounds of cocaine, which was pressed into brick-shaped packages. Soto was arrested a short time later with about 26 pounds of cocaine in the trunk of his vehicle, prosecutors said. Soto’s vehicle also contained an identification card with Herbert-Gumbs’ name and photograph, they said.
Investigators say the cocaine had been transported from Boston to New York.
Soto’s attorney did not immediately return a call for comment. An email to the Army Reserves press office for details about Soto’s assignment was not immediately returned.
A number for Herbert-Gumbs’ attorney went unanswered Saturday. Herbert-Gumbs’ occupation wasn’t immediately clear.
Full LIRR service restored. ... Honoring their service by cleaning their headstones ... LI Works: Hampton Ice ... When will the heat end? ... Get the latest news and more great videos at NewsdayTV
Full LIRR service restored. ... Honoring their service by cleaning their headstones ... LI Works: Hampton Ice ... When will the heat end? ... Get the latest news and more great videos at NewsdayTV


