'Smoke house' teaches kids fire safety
For Fire Prevention Week, Westhampton Beach Elementary School was visited by the Westhampton Beach Fire Department Tuesday. Volunteers brought along a "smoke house" that’s designed to simulate fire emergencies.
Students from kindergarten through fourth grade went through the trailer. There was a video on fire safety, and several volunteers taught safety tips. Some of the tips include kitchen safety, including not to touch a stove or put metal, utensils or foil in the microwave.
Bedroom safety tips during a fire include touching the door with the back of your hand before opening it, and if the door is hot, climbing or jumping out a window. Students are also taught "Stop, Drop and Roll" if they catch on fire.
The presentation also includes two puppets singing fire safety songs.
Check out the video above for more.