It's going to remain hot through the weekend into Monday. And if you're heading to beaches on the South Shore, be mindful of rip currents this weekend, National Weather Service meteorologist Dave Radell said Friday night.
Heat indexes — a combination of heat and humidity that makes it feel warmer than the actual temperature — will be a little cooler Saturday than Friday, which saw temperatures in the high 80s.
Still, Radell said Saturday's temperatures will be in the upper 80s and possibly close to 90 for most of the Island, warmer closer to New York City. Then the heat becomes a little more pronounced on Sunday, with temperatures reaching in the mid-90s, even to 96.
“We do have a moderate risk of rip currents at the Atlantic-facing beaches both [Saturday] and Sunday, so that’s one thing to be aware of for those heading to South Shore beaches this weekend,” Radell said.
It looks like the heat won't let up at the start of the workweek.
"The trend continues into Monday, a couple of degrees more, looks like the upper 90s to maybe 100, that's more toward Nassau and the city," Radell said. "Nonetheless it will be another day of hot and humid conditions."
Expect a chance of thunderstorms through the weekend.
"Scattered pop-up thunderstorms, and any of these storms can produce heavy rain and lightning," Radell said.
There could be a reprieve from the heat Tuesday, possibly with storms in the afternoon, Radell said. Highs are forecast in the mid-80s that day.
The high on Friday in Islip reached 88, and for Central Park the high was 89.
To beat the heat, cooling centers will be open and some municipalities are extending pool and beach hours:
Cantiague Park Administration Office, 480 W. John St., Hicksville. Open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Wantagh Administration Building, 1 King Rd., Wantagh. Open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Mitchel Field, 1 Charles Lindbergh Blvd., Uniondale. Open 24 hours
Anyone at the Cantiague Park and Wantagh cooling centers at closing time will be transported to Mitchel Field.
Cooling centers will operate out of select Town of Hempstead senior centers from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday at the following locations:
- Baldwin Senior Center, 1810 N. Grand Ave., Baldwin
- Bellmore Senior Center, 2000 Bellmore Ave., Bellmore
- Elmont Senior Center, 138 Elmont Rd., Elmont
- Levittown Senior Center, 555 N. Newbridge Rd., Levittown
- Oceanside Senior Center, 2900 Rockaway Ave., Oceanside
- Rosa Parks Senior Center, 2 Babylon Turnpike, Roosevelt
- Salisbury Senior Center, 460 Salisbury Park Drive, Westbury
- Uniondale Hempstead Senior Center, 840 Uniondale Ave., Uniondale
- Uniondale Merrick Senior Center, 750 Jerusalem Ave., Uniondale
- Wantagh Senior Center, 1150 Seamans Neck Rd., Wantagh
Beach hours will be extended to 7 p.m., while pools will be open until 8 p.m.
The Town of Brookhaven will have lifeguards on duty at the following beaches until 7 p.m. Friday:
- Cedar Beach in Mt. Sinai
- West Meadow Beach in Stony Brook
- Corey Beach in Blue Point
- Davis Park on Fire Island
The Holtsville and Centereach pools will also be open until 7 p.m.
The following cooling centers will be open to town residents through Sunday:
- Dix Hills Pool and lobby of Clark Gillies Arena (formerly Dix Hills Ice Rink), 575 Vanderbilt Parkway, Dix Hills. Open weekdays 12:30 p.m. (after camps end) to 8 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Sgt. Paul Tuozzolo Memorial Spray Park, Cuba Hill Road (between Harmon Drive and Elwood Road), Elwood. Recreation ID Card requirement waived. Open 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. for general public, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Saturday for children with special needs
- Manor Field Spray Park, E. 5th Street (between Park Avenue and Lenox Road), Huntington Station. Recreation ID Card requirement waived. Open 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Saturday for children with special needs.
The John J. Flanagan Center/Senior Center, 423 Park Avenue in Huntington, will also be open as a cooling center Friday only from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Town of Huntington beaches will have extended lifeguard protection until 7 p.m.
The hours at Town of Islip pools, spray parks and bay beaches will be extended on Friday:
- Pools will remain open until 7:30 p.m.
- Bay beaches will remain open until 7 p.m.
- Shipwreck Cove Spray Park in Bay Shore will be open until 6:45 p.m.
- Roberto Clemente Spray Park in Brentwood will be open until 7:30 p.m.