Wednesday on Long Island was a great day for Jones...

Wednesday on Long Island was a great day for Jones Beach, as this football-playing swimmer can attest, but Thursday brings the likelihood of heavy rain and thunderstorms for the region, the National Weather Service said.   Credit: Newsday/Alejandra Villa Loarca

Heavy rain and thunderstorms are in the Thursday Long Island forecast, with even a chance that tornadoes could touch down in isolated areas, the National Weather Service said.

After Wednesday night brings just a 20% chance of thunderstorms, the likelihood jumps to 80% before 2 p.m. Thursday, according to the weather service.

A hazardous weather outlook is in effect from Thursday to Friday morning for Long Island and most of the metropolitan area.

With nearly two inches of rain possible, the storms "have the potential to produce nuisance street flooding and will have to be monitored for worsening conditions," the weather service said.

The high Thursday is forecast to be 77 degrees.

The storms will most likely continue through the night and into early Friday before the skies clear and set up a weekend with plenty of sun and a high of 83. The temperature will dip to 59 Friday night under mostly cloudless skies, according to the weather service.

On Saturday, look for clear skies with a high of 80 and a nighttime low of 64.

The Sunday forecast calls for mostly sunny skies before a 30% chance of rain returns after 2 p.m., increasing to 50% at night. The high Sunday should top out at 82, dropping to 63 at night, forecasters said.

ONE-DAYSALE5¢ a week for 5 6 months

Get Unlimited Access

Cancel anytime