Two-year-old Jack McGonigle wants to get his feet wet Sunday...

Two-year-old Jack McGonigle wants to get his feet wet Sunday at Hempstead Lake State Park in Lakeview but his mother, Mary McGonigle, had other plans. Credit: Jeff Bachner

The high Monday is forecast to hit 70 degrees across Long Island under mostly clear skies, with more sun and seasonal temperatures Tuesday before a better-than-average chance of rain by Wednesday night.

Possible showers overnight could leave roads slick Monday morning but otherwise conditions will be nearly perfect for those venturing out to mail their tax documents at the last minute.

The low Monday night will dip to 47, according to the National Weather Service.

Tuesday brings more sun and a high of 65, with increasing clouds at night and a low of 46. Partly sunny skies Wednesday morning will give way to clouds and a 30% chance of rain in the afternoon, increasing to 70% at night when the low will drop to 45, the weather service said.

A lingering threat of rain continues into Thursday and Friday.

“The highs are all likely to be back down into the 50s for the rest of the week,” said James Tomasini, a weather service meteorologist.

The lows both Thursday and Friday night will dip into the mid-40s. On Saturday and Sunday, expect mostly sunny skies with highs near 60.

The predicted precipitation would add to rainfall totals already above normal for April. Islip has seen seven days of rain so far this month, recording 2.86 inches, 1.07 inches above normal, according to data collected at the National Weather Service climate center there.

Islip saw a record 9.5 inches of rain in March, about 5 inches above normal, Tomasini said.


Unlimited Digital AccessOnly 25¢for 5 months