After a Friday that saw record highs in much of the area, temperatures will come back down to earth for Saturday and Sunday. Highs are expected to be about 50 on Saturday, cooling off on Sunday into the lower 40s.
The next chance of precipitation is on Monday. Check back for tomorrow's blog post and more details.
Record highs set Friday
* 79 at Kennedy Airport
* 77 in Central Park (tied with 1989)
* 77 at Long Island MacArthur Airport in Islip
* 75 at Republic Airport in East Farmingdale
* 75 at Gabreski Airport in Westhampton
Record highs and lows for March 19
* 60 (1969), 7 (1967) at Kennedy
* 55 (1986), 15 (1993) at MacArthur
* 51 (2001), 27 (2007) at Republic
* 50 (2001), 17 (2005) at Gabreski
This Day in Weather History
1935 - Suffocating dust storms occurred frequently between March 12 and 25 in southeastern Colorado. Six people died, and many livestock starved or suffocated. Up to 6 feet of dust covered the ground. Schools were closed, and many rural homes were deserted by tenants.
Geoffrey Bansen, a recent graduate of Stony Brook University, has a degree in atmospheric science/meteorology.