Former Mets manager Mickey Callaway was suspended on Wednesday by Major League Baseball until at least the end of the 2022 season after an investigation of allegations of sexual harassment against multiple female media members.
Callaway, who managed the Mets in 2018 and 2019, was most recently the pitching coach for the Los Angeles Angels.
The Angels, who suspended Callaway in February when the allegations first surfaced, fired him shortly after Wednesday’s announcement by commissioner Rob Manfred.
Officially, Callaway was placed on MLB’s Ineligible List after a three-month investigation. He can apply for reinstatement after next season – and said in a statement that he hopes to "return to baseball when eligible."
Manfred, in a statement, said: "My office has completed its investigation into allegations of sexual harassment by Mickey Callaway. Having reviewed all of the available evidence, I have concluded that Mr. Callaway violated MLB’s policies, and that placement on the Ineligible List is warranted . . . Harassment has no place within Major League Baseball, and we are committed to providing an appropriate work environment for all those involved in our game."
Callaway, 46, issued a statement after MLB’s decision.
"My family and I fully support MLB’s strong stance against harassment and discrimination and are grateful to the Commissioner and his office for their thorough investigation," he said. "I apologize to the women who shared with investigators any interaction that made them feel uncomfortable. To be clear, I never intended to make anyone feel this way and didn’t understand that these interactions might do that or violate MLB policies. However, those are my own blind spots, and I take responsibility for the consequences.
"In my 25 years of professional baseball I have never taken for granted the privilege of being even a small part of this great game of ours. To say I regret my past poor choices would be an understatement. I remain hopeful that I can return to baseball when eligible at the conclusion of next season, but for now, I plan to work on my own shortcomings and repairing any damage I have caused with my colleagues and, particularly, my family."
In February, Callaway appeared to deny the allegations in a statement to The Athletic, which reported that he had acted inappropriately in person and electronically with at least five female media members over many years.
"Rather than rush to respond to these general allegations of which I have just been made aware, I look forward to an opportunity to provide more specific responses," Callaway said then. "Any relationship in which I was engaged has been consensual, and my conduct was in no way intended to be disrespectful to any women involved. I am married and my wife has been made aware of these general allegations."
Callaway was Cleveland’s pitching coach from 2013-’17 until he was hired to manage the Mets.
The Mets, who fired Callaway after the 2019 season, did not immediately address Callaway’s suspension by MLB on Wednesday. Callaway went 163-161 with the Mets.
On Jan. 19, the Mets fired general manager Jared Porter after he admitted to sending dozens of unsolicited texts, some of them explicit, to a female reporter in 2016, when he worked for the Chicago Cubs. Porter had been hired by the Mets on Dec. 13.
On March 1, Mets president Sandy Alderson – who hired both Callaway and Porter -- said the club had decided to make changes to the vetting process of potential new employees to try to avoid further issues.
"We just have to be mindful," Alderson said, "that in each of these cases, we have to be broader in understanding who these people are and what their backgrounds may be."