Francisco Rodriguez looks on after pitching in the ninth inning...

Francisco Rodriguez looks on after pitching in the ninth inning against the Philadelphia Phillies at Citi Field. (Aug. 11, 2010) Credit: Getty

Francisco Rodriguez now faces a new charge of criminal contempt after violating his restraining order by sending 56 text messages to his fiancee in the past month, prosecutors said in court Tuesday morning.

Judge Robert Raciti denied prosecutors' request to jail Rodriguez in response to the violation, instead issuing a stern warning to the Mets closer not to reach out to his fiancee.

"Remember everything I just said to you," Raciti told Rodriguez.

Rodriguez already was facing third-degree assault and second-degree harassment charges related to his alleged attack on the 53-year-old father of his fiancee after a game at Citi Field on Aug 11.

If convicted, Rodriguez could face up to a year in jail.

Dressed in a maroon golf shirt and blue jeans, Rodriguez stayed silent during the brief hearing and did not respond to reporters' questions as he walked with his attorney through the parking lot. It was his first appearance at Queens Criminal Court since his arraignment last month.

Assistant district attorney Scott Kessler told Raciti that Rodriguez sent 37 text messages to fiancee Daian Pena between Aug. 19-25 and then another 19 messages from a new cell phone number after travelling to Venezuela.

With Rodriguez standing a few feet to his right, Kessler read several of the messages to the judge, with about 30 people in attendance inside the main-floor courtroom.

"I know this message could get me in trouble again, but I already lost you, my house and my children," one of Rodriguez's first messages allegedly said. Another message read, "I do not want to have problems with your family, all I want ... is to recover you and my children and continue forward."

After Pena did not respond to Rodriguez's messages, the tone of the text messages became harsher and he directed his anger at her family, Kessler said.

"Thank you for sinking me turning your back, take good care of my children ... and now I see that your were with me because of the money to see that your family ...," one message purportedly said. Another read, "Your parents are manipulating you like a marionette..."

Rodriguez's attorney, Christopher Booth, argued that the text messages were a result of Rodriguez's unfamiliarity with how the court proceedings work, describing him as "unsophisticated in that regard."

The judge scheduled his next hearing for Oct. 7.

The temporary restraining order against Rodriguez, which also bars him from returning to his Upper Brookville home, runs through February, the judge said.

Rodriguez, who is in the second year of a three-year, $37-million contract, is currently on baseball's "disqualified list" as he recovers from surgery to repair a torn ligament in his pitching hand. He did not have a bandage on his hand during the court proceedings Tuesday.

The Mets contend the injury occurred during the alleged attack, therefore giving them the right to convert his contract into a non-guaranteed deal. A hearing before an arbitrator will likely take place next month.

Outside court, Rodriguez did not respond when asked if he thinks he'll be a Met next season.