Storm clouds move over the Glass Bowl delaying the football...

Storm clouds move over the Glass Bowl delaying the football game between Toledo and Stony Brook, Thursday, Sept. 3, 2015, in Toledo, Ohio. Credit: AP / J.D. Pooley

Heavy rain and constant lightning forced the suspension of Thursday night's Stony Brook-Toledo college football opener with Toledo leading 16-7 at halftime. The game will not be continued and will go into the record books as a "no contest" -- as if it never happened. The statistics will not count toward any season totals.

The decision was made at 12:15 a.m. Friday. Stony Brook immediately loaded a bus and headed to the airport to catch a chartered flight back to New York. No postgame news conference was held.

A Stony Brook spokesman called the situation "unprecedented." Conditions simply made it impossible to continue.

The Seawolves held a 7-3 lead with 14:51 left in the first half -- and were holding their own against Toledo, one of the Mid-American Conference preseason favorites -- when the teams were sent to their locker rooms just before 8 p.m. to wait out a storm. A second delay began just as the teams completed warm-ups and lined up on the field.

The game resumed at 10:51 p.m. after a three-hour delay and Toledo took a 16-7 lead on touchdown runs of 37 and 7 yards by Damion Jones-Moore in the second quarter. The conversion after the second TD failed.

The game went into its third lightning delay at 11:38 p.m., only minutes before the third quarter was to begin. By 12:15 a.m., the artificial turf was drenched, the rain and lightning continued and the decision was made.

Jones-Moore rushed for 70 yards on five carries and Marc Remy added 44 yards on eight carries in the half for Toledo.

Former Floyd star Stacey Bedell, co-winner of the 2011 Hansen Award as the top player in Suffolk County, gained 51 yards on 10 carries in the first half for the Seawolves, including a 30-yarder.

Conor Bednarski completed 7 of 14 passes for 41 yards, including a 2-yard touchdown pass to Cal Daniels that gave the Seawolves a 7-0 lead.

The announced attendance was 18,486, although by halftime only a few hundred spectators remained.

The Seawolves entered the game with a 1-6 record against FBS opponents, but they looked like a more than worthy opponent during an opening 13-play, 76-yard drive that ended with the scoring pass from Bednarski to Daniels. The drive took more than six minutes off the clock. But a punt and an interception ended the next two Seawolves possessions. After the first delay, the Rockets came out and struck quickly, taking the lead.

Stony Brook, coached by Chuck Priore, was trying for its first win against an FBS opponent since a victory over Army in 2012. The Seawolves, who went 5-7 last season, will host Central Connecticut Sept. 12 at LaValle Stadium.