Bears wide receiver Sam Hurd was locked up in federal custody yesterday in Chicago after being charged with trying to set up a drug-dealing network following his arrest with more than a pound of cocaine.

U.S. Magistrate Young Kim ordered Hurd held until at least today while prosecutors and defense attorneys work out bond details before he is sent to Texas to face charges.

Hurd was arrested Wednesday night after meeting with an undercover agent at a Chicago restaurant, according to a criminal complaint that says the player was identified as a potential drug dealer during the summer.

Hurd told the agent he was interested in buying 5 to 10 kilograms of cocaine and 1,000 pounds of marijuana per week to distribute in the Chicago area, the complaint said. He allegedly said he and a co-conspirator distribute about 4 kilos of cocaine every week, but their supplier couldn't keep up with his demands. (A kilogram is about 2.2 pounds.)

Hurd told the agent "his co-conspirator is in charge of doing the majority of the deals" while he focused on "higher-end deals," the complaint said.

Hurd agreed to pay $25,000 for each kilogram of cocaine and $450 a pound for the marijuana, according to the charges, then said he could pay for a kilo of cocaine after "he gets out of practice." He left the restaurant with the package and was arrested.

The criminal complaint was filed in Texas, where the U.S. attorney said Hurd faces up to 40 years in prison and a $2-million fine if convicted of conspiracy to possess with the intent to distribute more than 500 grams (half a kilogram) of cocaine.

Coach Lovie Smith said the arrest was a disappointment and a "total surprise," adding that Hurd was still a Bear for now. "Sam wasn't in meetings this morning, and of course we started searching trying to find out why a player wouldn't be here," Smith said. "There was no tipoff, didn't know it was coming."

Teammates said they couldn't believe what they were hearing. "It's a situation that you don't want anybody to be in, especially a close friend, a teammate," said wide receiver Roy Williams, who also played with Hurd in Dallas. "Especially a guy with a wife and a daughter.''

Falcons rout Jaguars

Roddy White caught two touchdown passes, and nose tackle Corey Peters scored on a 13-yard fumble return as the Falcons (9-5) beat the 4-10 Jaguars, 41-14, Thursday night in Atlanta.

Around the league

The Texans said defensive coordinator Wade Phillips was in stable condition after surgery on his kidney and gall bladder. Linebackers coach Reggie Herring will run Houston's defense Sunday against Carolina . . . Browns quarterback Colt McCoy said he still has headaches from the concussion caused Dec. 8 by a helmet-to-facemask hit from the Steelers' James Harrison. McCoy was sent home again before practice, increasing the likelihood that Seneca Wallace will start at Arizona.

More football news

Newsday LogoDON'T MISS THIS LIMITED-TIME OFFER1 5 months for only $1Save on Unlimited Digital Access