Tiger Woods and his wife Elin during the Presidents Cup...

Tiger Woods and his wife Elin during the Presidents Cup golf competition on Oct. 11. Credit: AFP / Getty Images

Tiger Woods was released from an Orlando-area hospital Friday, apparently with only facial cuts after a harrowing, puzzling one-car crash early in the morning that, police said, involved his wife Elin using a golf club to break the back window of his SUV to get him out.

Woods, generally considered the world's most famous athlete, is "in good condition," his Web site said Friday afternoon. But news of the golfer's 2:25 a.m. accident caused a stir in the sports world as a few details were reported while many others remained unknown.

Police in the gated community of Isleworth in Windermere, Fla., said Woods, 33, was pulling his 2009 Cadillac Escalade out of the driveway of his mansion when he struck a fire hydrant and then a tree on a neighbor's property.

Windermere police chief Daniel Saylor in a briefing Friday night described the scene and the actions of Elin Woods: "She was frantic, upset. It was her husband laying on the ground."

She told officers she was in the house when she heard the accident and "came out and broke the back window with a golf club," he said, adding that the front-door windows were not broken and that "the door was probably locked. She supposedly got him out and laid him on the ground," he said. "He was in and out of consciousness when my guys got there."

Saylor said Woods had cuts on his upper and lower lips, and blood in his mouth; officers treated Woods for about 10 minutes until an ambulance arrived. Woods was conscious enough to speak, he said.

The Orlando Sentinel reported that an Orange County Sheriff's Office call report said the crash knocked Woods completely unconscious for about six minutes.

Police said that alcohol was not involved in the crash and that no one was in the car with him. The automatic air bags did not deploy, police said.

"It was not a serious accident," Windermere Mayor Gary Bruhn told ESPN.

A statement on tigerwoods.com said, "Tiger Woods was in a minor car accident outside his home last night. He was admitted, treated and released in good condition. We appreciate very much everyone's thoughts and well wishes."

There was no word on where Woods was heading at that hour or if there had been some emergency. Bruhn told ESPN: "Tiger is a very reclusive individual. We obviously respect his privacy." Bruhn added that privacy is a major reason why Woods chose to live in the community.

Woods is preparing to move from Windermere to a 9,700-square-foot home on Jupiter Island, Fla. He paid $44.5 million for four adjacent properties.

The accident occurred near the end of an eventful year, even by Woods' standards. He won the $10-million FedEx Cup bonus as the season's top player on the PGA Tour. That made him the first athlete to reach the $1-billion mark in total earnings, Forbes magazine reported.

In January, Woods spoke at an Inauguration Day ceremony honoring incoming President Barack Obama. Less than a month later, he and Elin welcomed their second child, son Charlie.

Although he did not win any of golf's four major championships, he did win six PGA tournaments, which golf experts said was noteworthy because he was coming off major knee surgery in June of 2008, just after winning the U.S. Open. He is scheduled to host his annual unofficial tournament, the Chevron World Challenge, in California next week. His spokesman would not say if Woods intends to play.

More golf news


FOR OUR BEST OFFER ONLY 25¢ for 5 months

Unlimited Digital Access.

cancel anytime.