Adam Johnson (C) of Manchester City fights his way through...

Adam Johnson (C) of Manchester City fights his way through Tony Tchani (L) and Sinisa Ubiparipovic (R) of the New York Red Bulls during a friendly match July 25, 2010 at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey. The Red Bulls won, 2-1. Credit: Getty/STAN HONDA

HARRISON, N.J. - Thierry Henry didn't score, and was taken out after playing the first half, but the New York Red Bulls still managed a 2-1 win over Manchester City yesterday in the final game of the Barclays New York Challenge at Red Bull Arena.

Dane Richards' 30-yard blast in the 68th minute overcame an equalizer from Man City's Jo in the 55th. Macoumba Kandji opening the scoring for New York in the seventh minute, converting a feed from Richards. Kandji then fed Richards for the winner.

Red Bulls coach Hans Backe described Henry as having "heavy legs," an assessment shared by the French star.

"I'm nowhere near being fit, it's true," Henry said. "To be honest it wasn't easy today. I was a bit tired with some heavy legs."

As a starter at striker, Henry did not score in 45 minutes against Manchester City of the English Premier League. He did score against Tottenham in a loss to open this exhibition tournament. Henry came to the Red Bulls after a full-season at Barcelona and a disappointing and embarrassing performance by the French team in the World Cup. He now needs to get back into league shape.

"For me it is preseason," Henry said.

Henry had a scoring opportunity in the 30th minute. During a breakaway in front of the Manchester City box, Henry dribbled the ball harmlessly into the chest of Manchester City goalie Joe Hart's chest without getting a shot off.

Henry shot three times in the first half, with no shots on goal. Two of the shots were blocked by defenders and he shot wide of goal on another.

The Red Bulls next game is against the Dynamo in Houston on Saturday. "The most important thing is the Houston game," Henry said. "I'm not trying to think too much about it."


Sporting ties Spurs

Jaime Valdes scored in the 48th minute as Sporting Portugal held on for a 2-2 tie with Tottenham Hotspur in the Barclay's New York Challenge exhibition.

Valdes scored after he got the ball in the penalty area, spun, and knocked it just inside the right post for a 2-1 lead.

Tottenham's Jonathan Obika tied it when he took a pass outside the box, beat a defender, and kicked it into the left side off goalkeeper Rui Patricio's outstretched hands.

Tottenham scored the game's first goal in the 24th minute as captain Robbie Keane took a pass from midfielder Niko Kranjcar about 40 yards out, dribbled into the box, and knocked it past Patricio.

With AP

More soccer news