Screens in schools: What to know about the federal Education Department's new guidance on technology in the classroom
A third grade student uses an iPad at John Street Elementary School in Franklin Square in November. Credit: Morgan Campbell
The federal Education Department has waded into the controversy over technology in schools, telling educators and officials in newly released guidance that policy decisions “should focus on educational value rather than screen time alone.”
Kirsten Baesler, the department’s assistant secretary of office of elementary and secondary education, wrote in a letter released Thursday that “the public policy debate should not be framed as a choice between technology and no technology, nor should every screen be viewed as serving the same purpose.”
She said it’s important for educators to distinguish between technology that is used for recreation and technology that is intended to support learning. She also recommended that local policies consider whether technological programs are improving academics and instruction.
“Cell phones and algorithm-driven social media distract students from learning and undermine the focused classroom environments they need to succeed. States and schools are right to take steps to remove those distractions,” Baesler said in a release. “In contrast, instructional technologies should be judged by their impact on learning, not simply whether they happen on a screen."
WHAT NEWSDAY FOUND
- The federal Department of Education has issued new guidance over screen time in schools, asking educators and officials to consider technology’s “educational value rather than screen time alone.”
- The department’s assistant secretary said in a letter that educators need to distinguish between educational and recreational use of technology.
- Some local educators were pleased with the guidance, which leaves policy decisions up to states and local districts.
Some district officials and educators on Long Island embraced the department’s guidance, which ultimately leaves the decision-making up to states and local officials.
Nassau County Council of School Superintendents President-elect John McNamara said districts are taking a balanced approach to the issue of technology in the classroom.
“I like the part of the letter where they really focus on learning outcomes. That's what it's all about," said McNamara, who is also superintendent of the Wantagh school district. "If it's a productive use of technology and it enhances the learning outcomes for students, then I think it's a good use of technology."
He added, “It's a nuanced issue. … No one is advocating for just sticking kids behind screens."
Screen time debate
The guidance comes as some parents and educators have urged schools to scale back on digital learning, especially for children in the elementary grades.
In New York, Gov. Kathy Hochul said last month she was exploring restricting screen time for younger students following the state’s prohibition on cellphones in schools. Her position comes amid calls from the nation’s second largest teachers’ union, the American Federation of Teachers, to place stricter limits on technology, including a ban for the youngest students up until second grade. The New York State United Teachers union has also said there should be no use of one-on-one devices for children in prekindergarten through second grade.
Karen Male, a spokesperson for the state Education Department, said in a statement the department is in the process of developing guidance “to support the responsible use of digital tools, artificial intelligence, and emerging technologies in schools.”
The federal guidance touted the benefits of technology, which it said can expand access to tutoring and other services in rural areas or provide additional assistance for students with disabilities.
The letter also advised school districts to vet technology companies offering educational products and expect them to provide “independent evaluations” on student performance.
Franklin Square schools Superintendent Jared Bloom welcomed the guidance.
"The goal should not be to eliminate technology from our classrooms, but to be more intentional about when and why we use it," Bloom said in a statement. "Technology should assist our teachers and students, not replace the relationships, interactions, and experiences that are at the heart of great teaching and learning."
Deirdre Somers, faculty chair of The Waldorf School, a private school in Garden City, said the federal guidance resonated with her.
The school does not allow students to use computers in class until sixth grade and there are no smart boards or other technology offered until seventh grade. By high school, all students use digital technology, she said.
“They make some very valid points regarding the value of digital technology in education," Somers said of the federal guidance. "I'm specifically looking at rural students who are greatly helped by access to a broader community."
But Kevin Toolan, a sixth grade teacher and union president in the Patchogue-Medford district who mentors elementary school teachers, felt the federal guidance was "weak."
Toolan supports limiting screen time for students, who he said need to be taught to think critically before relying on technology.
“That's where I think the concerns are coming from teachers,” he said. “There's something to be said for the physical learning that we offer as educators that I don't see a computer being able to do."




