A meeting on Friday of top Nassau County officials to discuss potential spending cuts in the 2016 budget ended with "no path to an agreement," Democratic Minority Leader Kevan Abrahams said.
County Executive Edward Mangano, Presiding Officer Norma Gonsalves (R-East Meadow) and Abrahams (D-Freeport) met for about 20 minutes, but officials said no agreement was reached on how to balance the budget.
The meeting came a day after the Nassau Interim Finance Authority, a state monitoring board in control of the county's finances, rejected Mangano's $2.95 billion budget, citing $81.3 million in risky revenue assumptions.
The board directed Mangano and legislative leaders to develop millions of dollars in spending cuts or revenue increases and to resubmit the budget by Nov. 30.
Sources said Friday's meeting involved no discussion of specific cuts or revenue hikes.
"As it stands right now there is no path to an agreement," Abrahams said in a statement.
Mangano spokesman Brian Nevin said the officials "agreed to continue discussions on Monday after legislative leaders have met with their caucuses."
Gonsalves said the parties "will continue to work and meet again early next week."
County officials have compiled a list of $17.6 million in discretionary spending that could be cut, including elimination of $6.4 million for the county's youth board; $4.4 million in Nassau Inter-County Express subsidies; $4.3 million for emergency and fire prevention training and $1.2 million in sales tax aid to local villages.
NIFA's rejection of the budget came after the GOP-controlled legislature voted to override Mangano's veto of a measure that stripped from the budget a 1.2 percent property tax hike, which would have generated $12 million. The legislature previously cut $16 million in new fees.