Nassau County authorities made more than 300 arrests and collected dozens of guns in what they describe as a successful months-long operation to make streets safer.

In the two months that ended last week, law enforcement agencies throughout the county used the Criminal Intelligence Rapid Response Teams initiative and separate forfeiture and state Operation Impact funds to conduct a gun buyback program, a weeklong warrant sweep and a DNA collection that ended with 87 guns, 100 warrant arrests and 125 DNA samples from those who failed to comply with court orders to give them.

Det. Sgt. Pat Ryder said the initiative cost about $68,000: about $50,000 in grant money for overtime and another $17,400 for the guns.

Acting Police Commissioner Thomas Krumpter said there were 201 other related arrests, 547 traffic tickets, 106 appearance tickets, 388 field interviews and three gun arrests.

"Utilizing both state grant funds and asset forfeiture funds, our officers have made one of the safest counties in the nation even safer," Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano said at a news conference on Tuesday. "Using intelligence-led policing in conjunction with partnerships among our law enforcement agencies, we can and have made a tremendous difference in the quality of life enjoyed by our residents."

Ryder later said that crime is down 11 percent this quarter, compared with the same time last year, "and these initiatives helped." Nassau has participated every year since the grant program started seven years ago, he said.

District Attorney Kathleen Rice applauded the program's success and reiterated her call for the state to enact mandatory DNA testing for anyone convicted of a crime. "New York is way behind other states on this," she said.

Latest videos