But, not all medical personnel are aware of the importance of epinephrine, according to the guideline authors.
A severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) caused by food, latex or an insect sting can lead to throat swelling, breathing problems, heart attack and even death. Epinephrine can halt that severe allergic reaction.
There is virtually no reason not to use epinephrine on people believed to be suffering a severe allergic reaction, according to the guidelines from the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI).
"Since emergency department physicians are often the first to see patients who are suffering from anaphylaxis, it's especially important that they not only correctly diagnose the problem, but understand that epinephrine should be administered as soon as possible," lead author on the guidelines and emergency department physician Dr. Ronna Campbell said in a college news release.
"In addition, following a severe, allergic reaction, patients should be referred to an allergist, as allergists provide the most comprehensive follow-up care and guidance," Campbell added.
The guidelines were published online Dec. 2 in the Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology.
"The collaboration between emergency department personnel and allergists is vital," Dr. Stanley Fineman, ACAAI past president, said in the news release.
"At our recent annual scientific meeting, we convened an anaphylaxis roundtable discussion between emergency room physicians and allergists. We discussed how, together, we can get the word out about the importance of rapid epinephrine administration for those suffering from anaphylaxis. It's a message we want to get out to everyone dealing with severe allergies," Fineman said.
One study released at that meeting found that not all doctors know that epinephrine needs to be used first when treating an allergic reaction, while another found that having emergency supplies of epinephrine in schools saves lives.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine has more about epinephrine.