Health Tip: Caring for a Minor Burn
If you've suffered a minor burn, you may be able to care for it at home.
The U.S. National Safety Council offers this first-aid advice for a minor burn:
- Cool the burn by running it under cold water until the pain stops. You also can apply a cool compress to the area.
- Don't apply ice, which could do more harm than good.
- Cover the burn with a sterile, nonstick bandage.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever.
- Don't apply butter or ointment.
- Don't break any skin blister, which will increase the risk of infection.
If the burn appears severe, do not try to treat it yourself. Seek medical attention at once.