If you decide your children are spending too much time in front of the television, the University of Michigan Health System offers this advice for limiting kids' TV time:
- Set rules about when TV is not allowed, such as during meals or homework.
- Restrict TV to no more than two hours per day.
- Don't allow your child to watch TV until homework and chores are finished. If your child is doing poorly in school, consider abolishing TV altogether.
- Focus on conversation instead of television, and spend more time reading together.
- Encourage physical activity and hobbies.
- Don't use TV as a reward, punishment or babysitter.