The John Philip Sousa house on Hicks Lane in Sands Point. The band director and composer of "The Stars and Stripes Forever" lived here from 1915 until his death in 1932. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Harrison K. Wallace Estate, known as the "Aluminaire House," is located in West Hills, constructed from 1929 to 1931 and was designed by a leading 20th-century architect for himself. It is one of the earliest examples of the International Style, which was popular from the late 1920s to mid-1960s. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Raynham Hall Museum in Oyster Bay was originally a Colonial era saltbox home dating back to 1740, but the museum has been transformed over the years and now stands as an educational exhibition space to help visitors connect with Long Island's history. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
A Civil War soldier statue on a memorial monument is among the gravestones at the Roslyn Cemetery in Greenvale, which was founded in 1861. The cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
This pool is part of the Italian Gardens at the Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay, a place that was once the home of the late business magnate William Robertson Coe. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Old Westbury Gardens, the former estate of John Shaffer Phipps, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
The Main Street Historic District in Roslyn (from N. Hempstead Tpke. to E. Broadway, including Tower St. and part of Paper Mill Rd. and Glen Ave.), including these homes on Main, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
This East Hills house, once a dairyman's cottage on the Clarence Mackay estate, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
An aerial view of Jones Beach State Park. The park, plus its connected causeway and parkway system were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.
Winfield, the former estate of the the late Frank Winfield Woolworth, located in Glen Cove, It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. (Pictured: An Arc de Triomphe-styled gate at the foot of the lengthy driveway that leads from Crescent Beach Road to Winfield.)
A 17th century grist mill still spins at the Water Mill Museum in Water Mill. The mill was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
The Charles Woodhull House, at 70 Main St., Huntington, was built in 1870. It is adjacent to Huntington Town Hall on the eastern end of Huntington Village's main business district. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
Wereholme, also known as the Harold H. Weekes Estate and the Scully Estate, is the current location of the Suffolk County Environmental Center. Located in Islip, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.
The Caleb Smith State Park Preserve in Smithtown has links to the founder of the town in which it sits. Caleb Smith was the great-grandson of Richard Smith, who founded Smithtown. The park was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. (Pictured: Caleb Smith House, located within the Caleb Smith State Park Preserve.)
The Van Wyck Lefferts tidal grist mill in Huntington. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
Built in Sag Harbor in 1800, the old Corwith Windmill was relocated to Water Mill in 1813 and operated until 1887. The mill, a unique example of the utilitarian wood age architecture, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
The driveway of Eagle's Nest, a former home of William K. Vanderbilt II and his family. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
The main sanctuary at United Methodist Church in Patchogue measures 84 feet wide by 72 feet high and has a 100-foot spire. It has opal stained-glass rose windows by Tiffany Brothers Studios, and the room, including the balcony, seats 700. The second-oldest Methodist church on Long Island was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
The Trinity Episcopal Church of Roslyn was built in 1906 by the architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White (as in Stanford White), and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
The Wantagh Railroad Complex, located at 1700 Wantagh Ave. in Wantagh, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
The U.S. Post Office in Oyster Bay, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
The Stepping Stones Lighthouse in the Long Island Sound off North Hempstead Town, was built in 1877 and is operated by the U.S. Coast Guard. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places as Stepping Stones Light Station in 2005.
Named Springbank for the freshwater springs located on the nearby hillside, this Roslyn Harbor Colonial was built in about 1835 and once belonged to the family of William Cullen Bryant. It was added to the National Register in 1999.
This Glen Cove house that was once part of the J.P. Morgan Jr. estate is also known as the Shell House and got its name from the seashells embedded in some of the plaster ceilings of the 1905 waterfront house. The house was listed with the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
The Whitman-Place House was built in 1810 by Tredwell Whitman on property he inherited from his grandfather, Nehemiah Whitman. The barn on the 5 1/2-acre property, built in 1692, was originally the home of John Whitman, Nehemiah's father and the son of Joseph Whitman, the first member of the Whitman family to settle in West Hills.
Justice Court House
Built between 1907 and 1909, the Justice Court Building in Glen Cove is a rare example of Dutch Revival style architecture. Designed by Stephen Francis Voorhees, the building has gable front massing, brick and a steep, patched roof. The structure symbolizes the growing role of the local American judicial system at the time. The building, which was a common meeting place for the community, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Joseph Whitman House, built in 1668, was the home of the first Whitman to settle in the West Hills area. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The circa-1830 John Everit House sits on a 2 1/2-acre property in West Hills. An east wing was added around 1870 and a south wing was added around 1900. A surviving barn, shed and well house are rare examples of their type from their period.
The Horatio Gates Onderdonk House in Manhasset, one of the few Greek Revival homes in Nassau County with a classic temple front, was built by a local judge whose family were prominent Dutch settlers who came to Long Island from Delaware in around 1625. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Sept. 13, 2013)
Built in 1689 by Joseph Haviland, the Haviland-Davison Grist Mill has rare interior and exterior construction features associated with its time. A final addition was built on the home in 1900. Its building coincided with the settlement of East Rockaway.
A turntable that reversed locomotives is located at the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum. The turntable, which is currently being renovated, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Jan. 8, 2014)
The U.S. Post Office in Northport, located in the center of the village, is a former library built in 1914. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. (Sept. 6, 2013)
The Northport Historical Society Museum is housed in what was built as one of two original Carnegie libraries on Long Island in 1914. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Sept. 6, 2013)
Known as the "Old House," the Joshua Wells House was constructed in 1680 by the son of one of Southold's original 13 settlers and Cutchogue's first landholder. Updated only in 1815, the house is one of Cutchogue's oldest examples of colonial architecture. (2001)
Built in 1840, the Dowden Tannery is the earliest surviving example of industrial architecture in Huntington. It is also the only surviving building associated with Huntington's once-booming tanning industry. The road that it sits on, Rogue's Path, was named so because it was a hiding place for robbers and bandits, who would hide in the brush and rob travelers. (1984)
Built on the outskirts of Cutchogue's Village Center, the David Tuthill Farmstead was constructed in 1798. The building recalls an 18th century settlement of Long Island, as well as the subsequent agrarian development of Cutchogue.
Built in 1881, the Vail-Leavitt Music Hall is the oldest theater in the Riverhead area and one of the few remaining music halls in Suffolk County. During the early 1900s, Thomas Edison conducted some of his initial experiments with talking pictures at the music hall seen here in 2012.
Built in 1895, the Carll Burr Jr. House in Commack is an example of 19th century eclectic architecture. The house incorporates various popular design styles. Burr was a member of a prominent horse-training family and served as both a state senator and assemblyman. (1984)
Built between 1897 and 1932, the Briar Patch Road Historic District served as an important space for the East Hampton art community in the early 20th century. The natural beauty of the unpopulated area lent itself to landscape painting and served as home to artists, including notable painter Edward Simmons.
Woodcrest in Nissequogue was owned by Homer W. Reboul, a wealthy New Yorker who was attracted to Stony Brook Harbor's beautiful landscape and its untouched land protected by the harbor. The property is part of the original tract of land at the founding of Smithtown.
Now the Nissequogue Golf Club, the 1930 William J. Ryan Estate initially featured a different game. Ryan, an avid polo player, kept and maintained a polo field on his estate.
Rassapeague was built by Thomas S. Seabury in 1865 and farmed by him until he sold it in 1879. The property was eventually acquired by couple Susan Butler and Francis Huntington in 1906. Butler's brother Lawrence, an architect, redesigned the estate in 1915 to give it a more leisurely feel by repositioning the home for a better view of Stony Brook Harbor, now St. James Harbor.
Land of Clover was the summer home for Lathrop Brown, a real estate seller and local politician, from 1912 to 1918. The estate is known as one of the crowning structures in the recreational development period of Long Island, when homes of the rich began sprouting up around its coasts. Brown's brother Archibald, an architect, designed the estate.
Harbor House, better known as the George C. Case Estate, was built in 1910. Information on Case, the estate's owner, is sparse, but the structure is known as one of first projects of architecture firm Ford, Butler and Oliver. The firm had close ties to Stony Brook Harbor (now St. James Harbor) and continued building structures through the 1920s. Like most of the firm's other buildings, Harbor House is still standing today on its 22-acre parcel.
Saint Thomas' Chapel, an Episcopal chapel located at Main Street and Indian Wells Plain Highway in Amagansett in the Town of East Hampton, was built in 1907 as a summer-use chapel without heat or plumbing. (May 17, 2013)
The Cherry Grove Community House and Theater on Fire Island has joined almost 400 other Nassau and Suffolk sites on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 11, 2010)
Renovation takes place on May 10, 2012 in the Suffolk Theater in Riverhead. The theater part of the Riverhead Main Street Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places.
The North Main Street Historic District in East Hampton, added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, includes 12 residential properties, a church, cemetery and windmill. (May 17, 2013)
The East Hampton Village Historic District runs along Main Street, Newtown Lane and Southwest along Ocean and Lee Avenues. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974, and its boundaries increased in 1988. (May 17, 2013)
The Pantigo Road Historic District, which runs along Montauk Highway from the intersection of Accabonac Road and Egypt Lane in East Hampton, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. The Thomas Moran House, also a National Historic Landmark, is included in the district. The district includes 43 rural buildings of Colonial, Federal, Queen Anne style that were built between 1715 and 1920. (May 17, 2013)
The East Hampton Long Island Rail Road station, located at Railroad Avenue between Newtown and Race lanes in East Hampton, was built in 1895. The station house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2000. (May 17, 2013)
The Jones Road Historic District runs between Jones Road and Apaquogue Road in East Hampton. The district, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, includes a rural enclave of residences built between 1750 and 1921. (May 17, 2013)
The Egypt Lane Historic District in East Hampton, added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, includes dwellings in the Colonial Revival, Federal and Saltbox styles. (May 17, 2013)
The Thomas Dodge Homestead, located at 58 Harbor Rd. in Port Washington, was built around 1721 and is believed to be the oldest extant house in the area. (May 3, 2013)
Monfort Cemetery, located on a hill east of the Main Street and Port Washington Boulevard intersection in Port Washington, dates back to the early 18th century. (May 3, 2013)
The Sands-Willets House, home to the Cow Neck Peninsula Historical Society, is located at 336 Port Washington Blvd. in Port Washington. (April 16, 2013)
The Pauline Felix House located at 151 West Penn St. in Long Beach during the period in which plans were in the works to make the city a seaside resort community. (April 1, 2013)
The Long Beach U.S. Post Office is located at 101 East Park Ave. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (March 28, 2013)
The Samuel Vaisberg House, located at 257 West Olive St. in Long Beach, was built in 1927. Vaisberg, originally from Brooklyn, made a fortune in real estate and investments. The house stayed in the Vaisberg family until 1992. (March 28, 2013)
The Jericho Friends' Meeting House complex was built by Quakers, members of the Religious Society of Friends, and has been little altered since its construction. The meeting house was built in 1788. The complex represents New England building traditions of the late 18th century and Quaker ideals of simplicity.
The circa 1766 Joseph Lloyd Manor House is part of the original Manor of Queens Village, established in 1685 under a royal patent granted to the Lloyd family by James II. James Lloyd was the first lord of the manor. His grandson, Joseph, built this house on land he inherited from his father, Henry. The Joseph Lloyd house was likely occupied by British officers during the Revolutionary War.
The Thompson House, now a museum, is one of the oldest dwellings in Setauket. It remained in the Thompson family until 1887. Is was likely built by Samuel Thompson, the youngest son of John Thompson, one of the original 55 settlers of Setauket, at the time of his marriage in 1709.
The circa 1850 John P. Kane Mansion, known as High Lindens, is the oldest dwelling in the village of Huntington Bay and is an example of mid-19th century Italianate style.
The Freeport U.S. Post Office was part of federal architecture erected during the Great Depression and an example of Colonial Revival style.
The 1878 Adam-Derby House in Oyster Bay is an example of American Queen Anne style. Ethel Roosevelt Derby, President Theodore Roosevelt's daughter, lived in the house from 1914 until her death in 1977. The house is the least-altered of all Roosevelt summer homes in Oyster Bay and was part of the original first purchase of Oyster Bay. The house was originally completed for Mrs. S.S. Adam of Oyster Bay.
The Sea Cliff Fire Department, which now has 100 volunteer members, has been in use since 1884.
The Modern Times School is an octagonal one-room building built in 1857. It was moved from the current Brentwood Library property to Brentwood High School on Third Avenue in 1989 and has fallen into disrepair. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Aug. 3, 2011)
Built in 1813, the Wainscott Windmill it is one of the few remaining early windmills on Long Island. It still contains major internal machinery. (2008)
The Gardiner Windmill stands in East Hampton, as seen from the Gardiner graveyard. It was constructed in 1804.
After years of campaigning and renovation, the exterior of the historic Davis House in Coram has been restored. Once the seat of government for the Town of Brookhaven, the Davis House was built in the 1750s and hosted the government's annual meetings from 1790 to 1884. (Sept. 30, 2012)
The Pagan-Fletcher Restoration, at 143 Hendrickson Ave. in Valley Stream, was built in the 1840s and refurbished between 1900 and 1916. It is the only surviving mid-19th century structure in the village and was home to the Robert Pagan and his family, the area's first permanent settlers. The house was also the site of the village's first post office. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Oct. 11, 2012)
The Roslyn House, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a two-story building that once served as a hotel but is now home to the offices of two law firms. It is on the corner of Lincoln Avenue and Roslyn Road in Roslyn Heights. (Aug. 7, 2012)
The Mudge Farmhouse was built in 1740 and moved from on what is now Post Drive in 1868 to become part of an estate and then again in 1920 to 535 Motts Cove Rd. South to become a small estate. It is believed to be the oldest house in Roslyn Harbor, according to its National Register of Historic Places application. (Aug. 7, 2012)
The Clifton mansion is a Flemish Revival residence first built in 1863 as a cottage and expanded twice between 1876 and 1932. It was designed by architect Frederick S. Copley, who designed many neighboring homes, at the request of Ann Eliza Cairns, owner of the surrounding houses and property. The house overlooks Hempstead Harbor at 355 Bryant Ave. in Roslyn Harbor. (Aug. 7, 2012)
The Clapham-Stern House, a site listed on the National Register of Historical Places as of 2005, is located at 48 Glenwood Rd. in Roslyn Harbor. Originally referred to as the Stone House, the mansion was constructed between 1868-1872 by boat builder Thomas Clapham. Retail magnate Benjamin Stern bought the property around 1906. In 1943, it was bought by Wendell Hughes, who renamed the estate Wenlo. After a fire in 1960, Hughes returned the house go the High Victorian style and its original footprint. (Aug. 7, 2012)
This late Victorian home at 199 Prospect Ave. in Sea Cliff was built in 1890 for Anne and Eugene Rock. It later became a boarding house and is now on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
This Queen Ann house at 92 Main Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built by Charles Edwards in 1895. It was later owned by Coles Carpenter and then later by Lillian Pearsall. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
The house, at 115 Central Ave. in Sea Cliff, is called "The Wood Shed." Built in 1890, tThe home was designed by Oliver Combs for John Wood, who used it as a boarding house until 1915. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
137 Prospect Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1877 as a summer home for Keziah Case. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
This Queen Anne Victorian, at 19 Locust Pl. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1893 for J.T. Pirie, of Carson Pirie Scott Department Stores in Chicago. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
173 16th Ave. in Sea Cliff was built in 1880 and represents the area's architectural character as it was growing as a popular summer resort community. It has a view of Hempstead Harbor. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
Hoe Cottage, at 332 Franklin Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1888 for Robert Hoe, a printing press manufacturer and one of the founders of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The house was at one point by Brooklyn Hospital as a children's convalescent hospital. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
The Stoutenberg House, at 195 Prospect Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1890 and originally owned by Long Island historian Edith Stoutenberg. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
This Queen Ann home, at 176 Prospect Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1886. The building stands out in part because of its three-story square tower. The exterior has remained largely unaltered, but the interior was converted to apartments in 1940. It was built as Sea Cliff was being transformed into a summer resort community. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
This Queen Anne-style house, located at 112 Sea Cliff Ave., was built in 1884 and used as the parsonage for the Methodist Church from 1885-1888. The home is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
91 Prospect Ave. in Sea Cliff was built in 1879 and owned by generations of the Wardell family. It was used for religious activities. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
This house, at 65 20th Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1863 for Eliza Lockwood as a carriage house. It was converted into a summer residence in 1900 and a full-time residence in 1946. (July 19, 2012)
This Queen Anne-style home, at 103 Roslyn Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built by W.H. Smith in 1884, and is on the National Register of Historic Places. It represents the architectural character of the community in the late 1800s as it was growing into a summer resort area. (July 19, 2012)
This house, at 19 Locust Place in Sea Cliff, was built in 1893 for D.W. Pardee, who was the Sea Cliff Village president in 1894. A fire destroyed some sections of the house in the 1970. There is still a functioning elevator, and the house is considered one of the largest single-family dwellings still standing in the village. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
This Queen Anne Victorian, at 18 17th Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1890 and designed by Combs and Pearsall for John Conner, Sea Cliff's first fire chief. The house has the only working out house in Sea Cliff and is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
91 Prospect Ave. in Sea Cliff was built in 1879 and owned by generations of the Wardell family. It was used for religious activities. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
240 Sea Cliff Ave. in Sea Cliff was built in 1888 as the second location of a Methodist Church parsonage. The home is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
This late Victorian, at 52 18th Avenue in Sea Cliff, was built in 1894. It was designed by Frederick H. Maidment, who served as village president from 1921-1925. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
This Queen Anne Victorian, at 207 Carpenter Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1873 and owned by Charles and Theodore Edwards. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
This house, called "The Monterey Hotel," at 362 Sea Cliff Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1875 and purchased by Eliza McCormack for $1 from the Sea Cliff Grove and Metropolitan Camp Ground Association. Now used as a private residence, the house is one of the few surviving late 19th century summer boarding houses. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
This house, at 46 Dubois Ave., in Sea Cliff is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 19, 2012)
This Italianate-style house, at 285 Glen Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1885 for Hermann Butchtenkirch as a summer cottage and later became the home of Charles Bahman, a local barber. (July 19, 2012)
This late Victorian, at 8 17th Ave. in Sea Cliff, was built in 1894 for ship captain Charles Kitching and later used as a boarding house. It is now a single family residence. (July 19, 2012)
The Harbor Road Historic District in Cold Spring Harbor consists of 18 buildings, a majority of buildings representing the village's earliest settlements dating back to the mid-1800s. The district is centered at the North Hempstead Turnpike and Harbor Road intersection and runs south of the village's business district and alongside the harbor for about two miles. (June 25, 2012)
The Sea Cliff Fire Department has been in use since 1884 and has 100 volunteers. (July 6, 2012)
The Titus-Bounce House, at 7 Goose Hill Rd. in Cold Spring Harbor, was built in the 1800s and is one of the village's earliest residential architectures. (June 25, 2012)
The Cold Spring Harbor Fire District Hook and Ladder Co. building, located at the southeast corner of Main Street and Elm Place in Cold Spring Harbor, was actively used from 1896 to 1906 and is one of the few surviving single-bay, wood-framed firehouses in Suffolk County, according to the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. (June 25, 2012)
The Theodore Roosevelt Executive and Legislative Building is at 1550 Franklin Ave. in the village of Mineola. It is the seat of Nassau County government. The building, also known the Old Nassau County Courthouse, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. (June 26, 2012)
The triangular-shaped Georgian Revival building, constructed in 1930-1931, the Suffolk County Historical Society building is considered historically and culturally significant as the headquarters of the historical society and a symbol of the importance of local history to Suffolk County residents. (June 16, 2012)
The East Hampton railroad station, circa 1895, contributed the growth of East Hampton as a summer resort community. (June 1, 2012)
The Hook Windmill, which dates to 1806, is a three-story, octagonal, shingle-clad mill with a boat-shaped clad unique to Long Island. Operated by the Dominys family until 1910, it is now a museum run by the Village of East Hampton. (June 1, 2012)
The George Underhill House in Locust Valley was built in 1790. George Underhill was a descendant of Captain John Underhill, one of the original settlers of the land, originally known as Matinecock.It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. (May 31, 2012)
The Matinecock Friends Meeting House in Locust Valley, built in 1725, has been little altered since its original construction and represents the early history of the Quaker movement in colonial New York. A Quaker burial ground lies to its east and is included in the site’s listing on the National Register of Historic Places. The meeting house, located at 27 Duck Pond Rd., continues as a house of worship. Matinecock refers to the previous name of the City of Glen Cove. (May 31, 2012)
The Cock-Cornelius House, located at 24 Birch Hill Road in Locust Valley, is also known as the Wyckoff-Underhill House. Local lore has it dating back to 1768, though unconfirmed local lore has it going as far back as 1668 and built by Captain John Underhill. (May 31, 2012)
St. Paul's German Presbyterian Church and Cemetery is a historic site on Elmont Road in Elmont. The current church was built in 1904 to replace a smaller structure. The congregation dates back to the 1860s. The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008. (May 24, 2012)
Built in Sag Harbor in 1800, the old Corwith Windmill was relocated to Water Mill in 1813 and operated until 1887. The mill, a unique example of the utilitarian wood age architecture, was restored in 1987. Today, its owned by local civic improvement association. (Aug. 11, 2010)
The Andrew Gilgersleeve Octagon Building, at the corner of Main Road and Love Lane in Mattituck, is in the heart of the community's business district. It was built in 1854 as a combined home and attached store. It has also served as a post office and boarding house. According to its National Register of Historic Places application, it is the least altered octagonal structure surviving on Long Island. (May 21, 2012)
The Foster-Meeker House, located at 101 Mill Rd., is adjacent to the Westhampton Beach Historical Society’s headquarters on land owned by the village. It was moved in 2008 by the society from 297 Main St. to preserve it from demolition. Dating back to 1740, it appears to be the oldest surviving structure in the village. (May 24, 2012)
Constructed in the late 1860s, the Pleasants House in Amagansett is a prime example of the area's mid-19th century character. The house remains in the family of its original owner, Jeremiah Baker. (1983)
The Montauk Tennis Auditorium, also known as the Montauk Playhouse, was designed and partially built by Carl G. Fischer in the 1920s. Years later, a tennis hall in the building was converted into a theater. Today, the historic tennis center serves as a community playhouse. (1987)
The AN/FPS-35 radar antenna and tower, which began operating in December 1960, is on the site of the former Montauk Air Force Station. It serves as a landmark for mariners in the waters of the East End. It is one of the few air-defense related structures left after many were demolished in 1999-2000 in an effort to rid the land of hazardous material.
The Thomas Strong House, built in 1695, housed eight generations of Thomas Strong's descendents. The house, located in Wainscott, was built in three stages.
The Caleb Bragg Estate, built by Carl G. Fischer in 1929, consists of seven cottage-like buildings that represent early 20th century resort architectures. The Star Island site's namesake, Bragg, who owned the estate until his death in 1943, invented devices such as an automobile air break. (1986)
The 36-foot-tall Hayground Windmill is the last commercially operated windmill on Long Island and remains in operable condition. The windmill, built in 1801 in Hayground in Southampton Town, was moved in 1950 to the Simon estate in East Hampton. It last operated in 1919.
Rock Hall, a historical colonial house museum in Lawrence, was built by Josiah Martin in 1767 and later occupied by patriots in 1776. It became the Hewlett family residence until the family deeded it to the Town of Hempstead in 1948. (April 17, 2012)
The Westhampton Beach U.S. Post Office is located on Main Street. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989, the Colonial Revival-style building was constructed in 1941 and is considered architecturally significant as an example of federal public works projects during the Great Depression. Among the most noteworthy features is a mural over the postmaster's office by artist Sol Wilson. (April 16, 2012)
The Walt Whitman Birthplace offers tours. The winter hours are Wednesday through Friday from 1 to 4 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Feb. 23, 2012)
The circa 1825 Potter-Williams House, at 165 Wall St. in Huntington, is across the street from the Huntington Fire Department. Built into the side of a steep hill, it was the home of Nathaniel Potter, a silversmith who ran a shop on Mill Lane and later became a county judge and state assemblyman. The house later was owned by his mother's family (the Williamses) and remained in the family until the early 1900s.
The Prime House, at 35 Prime Ave., was built in 1855 as housing for workers of Ezra C. Prime, a thimble manufacturer. The site of Prime's factory is now Heckscher Park in Huntington. (Feb. 7, 2012)
Prime-Octagon House, at 41 Prime Ave., Huntington, was built in 1859 and is the only octagon house from that period in Huntington. It was built for Ezra C. Prime, a thimble manufacturer. The site of Prime's factory is now Heckscher Park in Huntington. (Feb. 7, 2012)
Old Town Hall, on the corner of Main Street and Stewart Avenue, is the former seat of Huntington Town government. It is in the Old Town Hall Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1910, it is now an office building. (Feb. 7, 2012)
The "Aunt Phiney" Carll House, at 79 Wall St., Huntington, was built in 1820 and enlarged with a two-story residence in 1840. It was moved from an unknown location in the mid-1800s. It belonged to the Carll family until the late 19th century and is an example of the area's settlement-period dwellings. (Feb. 7, 2012)
The Old Burial Hill Cemetery is off Main Street in Huntington, behind the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial building. It is the oldest public cemetery in Huntington and was likely established soon after the town's founding in 1653, according to "Portrait of a Small Town II," a book on the history of Huntington. Fort Golgotha was built by the British during the Revolutionary War on the property. (Feb. 7, 2012)
The Isaac Losee House, at 269 Park Ave., Huntington, was built in 1720. According to the National Register of Historic Places, little is known about its first owner. It is commonly referred to as the Abel Conklin-Johnson House after its early 19th century owner, Abel Conklin, and late 19th century owner, Captain Charles Johnson. It is across from Huntington Hospital. (Feb. 7, 2012)
The Charles Woodhull House, at 70 Main St., Huntington, was built in 1870. It is adjacent to Huntington Town Hall on the eastern end of Huntington Village's main business district. It was built for Woodhull, a prominent local merchant. (Feb. 7, 2012)
Bethel AME Church and Manse was noted in the National Register of Historic Places as "the most important surviving local resource associated with local black history in the Town of Huntington." The 1840s church, constructed by the local Methodist congregation, has been used by black residents since 1860. It is the oldest black church in continuous use in Huntington. (Feb. 7, 2012)
First Presbyterian Church of Oyster Bay
Oyster Bay's historic Presbyterian Church was completed in 1873. It was the boyhood church of Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th president of the United States. The sites was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. The architect is J. Cleveland Cady.
The Josiah Woodhull House in Shoreham was added to the National Register of Historic Places earlier this year. The Georgian-style Colonial house was built in 1720 and was once owned by the grandson of Richard Woodhull, one of the founders of Brookhaven. (Oct. 12, 2011)
The house at 266 W. Penn was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008 as one of the original houses built in the Long Beach Estates in 1909. The building is now used as the Long Beach History Museum. It was built with a wood frame, but is also made of concrete, stucco and red tile roofing - all reflective of the era of Sen. William Reynolds, who planned the development of Long Beach based on Garden City.
Bellerose Village in Nassau County was incorporated in 1924. The municipal complex includes the Village Hall, Fire Hall and police booth and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2006 for the services it provided to the growing suburban community. It is also an example of early 20th century architecture in Colonial and Tudor Revival styles.
The Granada Towers are one of the tallest buildings in the low-lying business district in the city of Long Beach. Built in 1929, the apartment house and hotel is an example of the extensive 20th century development in the resort town. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
The Almshouse Hay Barn, located at the Suffolk County Farm in Yaphank, is one of the few remaining double bay hay barns in New York that is still used for its original purpose, according to the Yaphank Historical Society. (July 29, 2011)
A front view of the Old Town Hall building on Main Street in Babylon. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005. (June 18, 2011)
The Bald Hills Schoolhouse was Farmingville's first in 1850. It closed in 1929 but remains on Horseblock Road. The building is currently being restored. (July 14, 2012)
The Bay Shore Post Office is located at 10 Bay Shore Ave. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Aug. 3, 2011)
The Beebe Windmill, first built in 1820, is a four-story smock mill on Atlantic Avenue in Bridgehampton that was considered one of the most technologically advanced extant mills on Long Island. (Aug. 11, 2010)
The Big Duck in Flanders was built in 1931 as a tribute to Long Island duck farming. Inside the stucco, wood and wire duck is a museum and gift shop. (July 5, 2010)
Seen here is the east facade of the Brewster House on Main Street in East Setauket. According to the Town of Brookhaven, it is the oldest dwelling in the Three Villages area. Built in 1665, its first location was probably at the top of the present Route 25A hill. An addition was built in the early 1700s, and in 1968 the house was restored to its 1845 appearance as depicted in William Sydney Mount’s genre painting, "Long Island Farmhouses." The building is owned and maintained by the Ward Melville Heritage Organization. The Brewster House is open for tours and special classes by appointment. Call 631-751-2244. (Aug. 4, 2011)
Central Hall was originally built in 1894 as a dry good store and meeting hall for the rapidly growing Sea Cliff community. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987 for its role in daily village life during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. (1987)
The Nathaniel Conklin House on Main Street was built in 1803. In 1871, the wealthy Conklin family moved the home to Deer Park Avenue in the village, where it still stands today. (Aug. 17, 2011)
Built in 1871, the Crowell House was one of Sea Cliff's first summer houses. The house is made more significant because its location on Littleworth Lane, in the southern part of the village, is away from the center of the village where most development took place in the late 19th century.
Built in 1910, the two-story wood frame house is one of the most intact historic summer homes in the incorporated village of Westhampton Beach. It has been owned by the Crowther family since the 1940s. (1985)
The Edwards Homestead is the home of the Sayville Historical Society. It dates back to 1838 and was built by the descendants of Sayville's founder. (Aug. 3, 2011)
The Village of Bellport was founded in the early 1800s by Captains Thomas and John Bell as a seaport. For many years it served as a base for ship-building and fishing, as well as farming. It celebrated its 100th anniversary as an incorporated village in 2010. Village Hall is located 29 Bellport Lane. (July 27, 2011)
The 1860s Marion Carll farm was left to the Commack School District in 1969. The house and barns are now in disrepair. (June 4, 2010)
The John Coltrane Home in Dix Hills, a 1952 postwar suburban tract house at 247 Candlewood Path, Dix Hills.
The Eastman Cottage in Roslyn was built in 1870 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Sept. 30, 2011)
Elmwood was commissioned by the Youngs family, believed to be one of the first European families to settle in the Oyster Bay area. Built in 1836, the Greek Revival style mansion serves as a representation of the rural character of 19th and 20th century Oyster Bay. (1972)
Farmingdale Long Island Rail Road station. This station, first built in 1896, replaced an 1870 wooden depot that was located to its west. The first Farmingdale station was built in 1840. (August 17, 2009)
Construction of the second Fire Island Lighthouse was completed in 1858. (Jan. 1, 2011)
The First Congregational Church of Bay Shore was built in 1891. The congregation was founded in 1852. (Aug. 3, 2011)
An undated photo of the First Congregational Church of New Village in Lake Grove. The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The First National Bank of Port Jefferson is listed on the National Register of Historic Place. (Aug. 22, 2009)
The First Presbyterian Church of Smithtown was completed in 1825 on the site of a previous church building erected in 1750. A chapel, tower clock, parish hall and school were later added. (Aug. 22, 2011)
The Gamecock Cottage at Shipman's Point in Stony Brook is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1932-33, the Glen Cove Post Office was the first building constructed as part of a plan for a Glen Cove village center. The post office was designed by independent architectural firm Delano and Aldrich as opposed to most post offices built during that time, which followed a set design by the Supervising Architect of the Treasury. (1984)
The Hawkins-Mount House in Stony Brook is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (1979)
Heckscher Park can be found on Main Street just outside downtown Huntington. The park includes a small lake, walking paths and the Heckscher Museum of Art. (June 29, 2011)
The Homan-Gerard House on Yaphank Avenue was built in 1790 with a federal design. The site, which has fallen into disrepair, is set for a makeover in the next few years. The project is a partnership between the Yaphank Historical Society and Suffolk County. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 12, 2011)
A historic Huntington Bay mansion belonging to the younger brother of former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger has come on the market for $1.59 million. Built in 1912, the stucco French chateau features a circular tower and leaded glass. It was one of only five built as summer homes in the Beaux Arts Park Historic District, a National Register of Historic Places site once part of a 67-acre development where a Stanford White gambling casino once stood, says Jody Schmid of Prudential Douglas Elliman Real Estate, who is listing the property. Public records show that the house is in a trust named after Walter B. Kissinger and his wife, Eugenie. Kissinger is a Long Island executive and philanthropist who has served as trustee for Hofstra University and the Stony Brook Foundation. The 1-acre property comes with deeded beach rights and a separate three-bedroom guesthouse.Copyright (C), Multiple Listing Service of Long Island, Inc, 2004
The Hedges Inn in East Hampton, built in 1652 by local resident William Hedges, is listed in The National Register of Historic Places. (November 1, 2010)
The Heitz Place Courthouse served as the offices for various government functions after it was completed in 1895 and is representative of classic architecture of that time. From 1938 to 1967, the courthouse was used as the Nassau County Fourth District Court, and was then vacant for three years until it was leased by an educational institution as an earth science museum.
This colonial cottage in Huntington is known as the Henry Townsend House. Built in 1830, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Among those buried in the cemetery at Lakeville AME Zion Church in Manhasset are several of the church's original founders and veterans from the Civil War and the Spanish-American War as seen in this Jan. 12, 2011 photo. Built in 1833, the church, its cemetery and several houses to the north are all that is left of the historic free black village of Success. The rest of the village has been swallowed up by time, replaced by the North Shore Hospital and Community Drive Medical Center.
The Nathaniel Longbotham House, first built before 1746, its first documented date, represents the early settlement period of Stony Brook. It was owned and rented by Ward Melville from 1956 to 1976. (Aug. 22, 2011)
The Masury Estate ballroom is a remnant of a larger Masury family estate built in 1898. The ballroom, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is now owned and run by the Holiday Beach Property Owners Association. This is a view of the ballroom's west side. (June 29, 2011)
Miss Amelia's Cottage, in Amagansett and built in 1725, is on the National Register of Historic Places. Film Image
The Montauk Manor, built in 1927, was designed to be the "most fabulous summer resort ever imagined in the western world," said its builder, Carl Fisher. The manor is now a hotel and conference center. (Sept. 13, 2009)
The main house of Meadow Croft, the former estate of John E. Roosevelt, who was a cousin of President Theodore Roosevelt. The estate is now dedicated to the Suffolk County Historic Trust and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The property is located on Middle Road in Sayville. (June 28, 2011)
The Middle Island Congregational United Church of Christ, at 271 Middle Country Rd., is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and features paned arch windows on both sides, a steeple that was added in 1863 and a bell added in 1870. (July 14, 2011)
Mill Neck Manor, known originally as Sefton Manor, was built in 1923 for Lillian Sefton Dodge, president of cosmetics giant, Harriet Hubbard Ayer Co. The department of the Interior designated the honor of National Register of Historic Places to Mill Neck Manor for its outstanding architectural achievement. (April 17, 2008)
The Jacob Ockers House in Oakdale, built in 1880, was home to one of Sayville's most prominent and wealthiest oystermen. The house now serves as the offices of Islip Councilman Gene Parrington. (Aug. 3, 2011)
The Oheka Castle in Huntington. (Oct. 27, 2009)
Built around 1649, the Old House in Cutchogue is the oldest English-type house still standing in New York state. It's been restored several times and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It stands on the Village Green on Main Road in Cutchogue.
View of the Plum Island Lighthouse. (Sept. 18, 2006)
Larry Gay tends to the lawn of this historic Old Whalers Church, also known as the First Presbyterian Church on Union Street in Sag Harbor. This church, which was dedicated in 1844, is on the National Register of Historic Places. (Sept. 29, 1996)
Old Westbury Gardens, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is the former home of John S. Phipps, his wife, Margarita Grace Phipps and their four children. Completed in 1906, the Charles II-style mansion anchors 200 acres of formal gardens, landscaped grounds, woodlands, ponds and lakes. Westbury House is furnished with English antiques and decorative arts. (Oct. 5, 2009)
The Oyster Bay Post Office was finished in 1937 and is registered with the National Register of Historical Places in Oyster Bay. The Post Office was built to replicate the Town Hall which sits across the street.(May 31, 2010)
A sign welcomes people to the Village of Port Jefferson. (March 22, 2011)
Capt. Michael Caldwell and Priscilla, the oldest survivor of a fleet of South Shore oyster dredging sloops. The Priscilla is 60 feet long with a 14-foot beam and was built in 1888. (Aug. 3, 2011)
The Robert Hewlett Hawkins House was built in 1850 for a Yaphank native turned New York City businessman who died in 1850 at 38 years old. The house has been restored by the Yaphank Historical Society, which maintains the interior. The exterior is maintained by Suffolk County. The Italianate pegged construction house, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, “was one of the most elegant homes in the area,” according to historian Karen Mouzakes. (July 12, 2011)
Race Rock Lighthouse, about a half-mile southwest of Race Point on Fishers Island, is reachable only by boat. The light station's construction began in 1871 and was completed in 1878. It includes the foundation, keeper’s dwelling, light tower, boat dock and protective riprap. (July 17, 2010)
The James Alfred Roosevelt Estate, located just west of the Sagamore Hill, was built in 1881 for the uncle of President Theodore Roosevelt. Several generations of Roosevelts lived at the estate, whose main house is known as Yellowbanks. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. (January 1977)
Rosary Hall -- Queen of the Rosary Motherhouse
The Queen of the Rosary Chapel, part of the Sisters of St. Dominic Motherhouse Complex, shows a great amount of Gothic detailing, with brick buttresses, cornice brackets, bargeboards and spires. Gothic arches are detailed in cut stone and stone statuary is both inset into the wall surfaces and set on projecting stone brackets with matching hoods. The Gothic detailing continues on the tracery of the iron balcony that reaches across the western, or main façade. Although the chapel was intended primarily for the use of the sisters and those housed within Rosary Hall, pews for the public were eventually added to the western or back portion of the chapel.
The Roslyn Savings Bank building was built in 1932 in a Georgian Revival style design. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Sept. 30, 2011)
A front view of the Sagtikos Manor in West Bay Shore. The historic home's original structure was built in 1697, and the estate includes a buttery, a carriage house, a cemetery and a walled garden. (Aug. 3, 2011)
The Samuel Hopkins House is located on Pipe Stave Hollow Road in Miller Place. The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Glen Cove house that was once part of the J.P. Morgan Jr. estate is also known as the Shell House and got its name from the seashells embedded in some of the plaster ceilings of the 1905 waterfront house. The house is listed with the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
An undated photo of the Setauket Presbyterian Church, which dates back to 1660. The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
A postcard of the Sherwood-Jayne House. The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
St. Ann's Episcopal Church is said to be the first stone church built in Suffolk County. It was completed in 1888 on the site of the original St. Barnabas Chapel, built in 1866. The church's name changed at the request of Walter R. Suydam, who funded construction of the church, in honor of his mother. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (June 28, 2011)
The Sweet Hollow Presbyterian Church parsonage at 152 Old Country Road was built in 1830 and put on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. (1984)
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Yaphank was built in 1853.
The charming St. James General Store was built in 1857 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (October 18, 2009)
St. John's Episcopal Church in Oakdale was established in 1765 and constructed by the Nicoll family. The Town of Islip's first pantentee was William Nicoll in 1683, which the town marks as its founding year. Several Nicoll family members are buried in the church's cemetery. (Aug. 3, 2011)
The St. Paul's Episcopal Church Complex is located at 31 Rider Ave. in Patchogue. The church was built in 1883 on property donated by Edward Edwards, who also paid for its construction. The parish hall, north of the church building, was completed in January 1895. That same year Edwards built the rectory. The complex is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 1, 2011)
A kitchen added in 1955 to the Terry-Ketcham Inn in Center Moriches is now an office. The inn, run by the Ketcham Inn Foundation, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (June 29, 2011)
The George Underhill House in Locust Valley, built in 1790, was added to the National Register of Historic Places as the residence of one of the earliest families to settle in northern Nassau County. George Underhill was a descendant of Captain John Underhill, one of the original settlers of the land, originally known as Matinecock. (2003)
Union Chapel sits on a Shelter Island Heights hilltop in The Grove. Built in 1875, the chapel was part of an architect's original plans of the area and represents the community's late 19th-century history. (1981)
The United Methodist Church, at the intersection of South Ocean Avenue and Church Street, is a Romanesque Revival brick structure. Designed by Oscar S. Teale and built in 1889, it has opal stained-glass rose windows by Tiffany Brothers Studios. The church -- the second-oldest Methodist church on Long Island -- was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. Its 10 a.m. Sunday services are streamed live on ustream.com. (July 1, 2011)
This 1901 drawing shows the arrangement of the engine rooms, blower rooms and aft six-inch gun ports.
Tucked into a Mastic Beach neighborhood is the William Floyd Estate, 613 acres that were once a Colonial plantation. Eight generations of Floyds lived in the house, including William Floyd, whose signature is on the Declaration of Independence. The estate is on the National Register of Historic Places and is on the list of National Historic Landmarks. (July 8, 2010)
A rear view of Winganhauppauge in Islip, which was built in 1941 by Richard and Elsa Pasternack. The home sits on 3.9 acres and is named after Lake Winganhauppauge, which adjoins the east side of the property. Richard Pasternack was the first research director at the drug maker Pfizer. (Aug. 3, 2011)
A rear view of the Joseph Wood House on Greene Avenue in Sayville. The property is a private residence built in 1892. Its architect also designed Meadow Croft, the John Ellis Roosevelt Estate in Sayville. (Aug. 3, 2011)