Tamerlan Tsarnaev smiles after accepting the trophy for winning the...

Tamerlan Tsarnaev smiles after accepting the trophy for winning the 2010 New England Golden Gloves Championship in Lowell, Mass. Tsarnaev, 26, was identified by authorities as one of the Boston bombings suspects. Credit: AP, 2010

          An Editor’s Note published July 12, 2017, about Kevin Deutsch’s reporting appears at the end of this story. 

BOSTON -- Investigators believe Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev built pressure-cooker bombs while watching his 3-year-old daughter at his Cambridge apartment, and that his wife was out working when most of them were assembled, a federal law enforcement source said.

The FBI is continuing to meet several times per week with Tsarnaev's wife, Katherine Russell, 24, whom they are showing photographs and documents as part of their probe into the bombings, the source said.

Russell worked long hours away from home as a health aide, and it remains unclear whether she had any knowledge of her husband's bombmaking, the source said. Since the Cambridge home was raided after brothers Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev were identified as suspects, she has been living with her parents in Rhode Island.

A copy of the online al-Qaida magazine Inspire, along with other jihadist materials, was found on Russell's computer, which she may have shared with her husband, the source has said.

"Devices appear to have been built while he was at home with the child," the source said. Those included the two pressure-cooker bombs detonated April 15 at the Boston Marathon, killing three people and injuring more than 260 others.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, died in a gunfight with authorities April 19, a day after authorities released photos of the suspects.

He did not hold a job at the time of the bombings and had recently turned away from his amateur boxing career as he became increasingly religious.

Neighbors said they recall seeing him occasionally walking around outside with his daughter.

"He was home with the baby, so you saw him with her now and then," said Angelica Wojciech, who lives in the same Cambridge apartment building as the couple. "She worked and he took care of the baby. He looked like any other dad doing that. Just normal."

Russell's lawyer has said she had no knowledge of the marathon bombs, but investigators are still examining what she knew about her husband's activities, and what she spoke with him about on the phone after the FBI released his picture, the source said.

Forensic tests by FBI explosives experts have detected residue from explosives in the bathtub and kitchen sink in the couple's apartment, the source said.

The results, according to the source, appear to corroborate Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's statements to federal investigators that the brothers built the bombs in the apartment.

He has told investigators that he and his older brother learned to make the pressure-cooker bombs from instructions in Inspire.

Meanwhile, lawyers for Robel Phillipos, 19, one of three arrested college friends of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, filed court papers Saturday proclaiming his innocence and calling on a judge to release him from jail at a hearing scheduled Monday in federal court here.

The lawyers argued Phillipos' presence on the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth campus on the day the other friends allegedly got rid of evidence from Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's dorm room was a coincidence and that it had been more than two months since he had spoken to the bombing suspect or the other two arrested men.

Editor’s note: Newsday undertook an extensive, four-month review of reporting by Kevin Deutsch, who covered law enforcement from April 2012 to September 2016.

The review of the former Newsday reporter’s work began after The Baltimore Sun this year reported that law enforcement and other officials questioned the veracity of Deutsch’s nonfiction book “Pill City” about Baltimore’s drug trade. In addition, questions arose about individuals named in Newsday stories by Deutsch. Book publisher St. Martin’s Press and Deutsch have said they stand behind the book.

We are dedicated to accurate, factual reporting, to the highest journalistic standards and to maintaining our credibility with Newsday readers. We also are committed to being accountable to our readers. Newsday undertook the detailed review in that spirit and because of the concerns that were raised.

In late February, as our review was under way, The New York Times reported in an editor’s note that The Times “had been unable to locate or confirm the existence of two people who were named and quoted” in a Dec. 29, 2016, freelance article written by Deutsch. Deutsch “maintains that the interviews and the descriptions are accurate,” The Times wrote.

Newsday reviewed 600 stories with reporting by Deutsch. We contacted officials in the police departments regularly involved in Deutsch’s coverage. They said they had not had problems with his work. We then focused our research and reporting on individuals who, as described in the stories, would not be considered officials, or well-known, public figures.

The review found 77 stories with 109 individuals from Deutsch’s reporting whom Newsday could not locate. The main points of the stories were not affected. While two stories about the Orlando nightclub shooter Omar Mateen were based on sources Newsday could not locate, other media reported the main points of those stories but with attribution from different sources.  In this story, Newsday could not locate: Angelica Wojciech. Newsday is attaching an editor’s note to each story online that contains individuals we cannot locate.

Here’s how Newsday conducted the review:

Researchers and reporters searched local and national public records, sites providing nationwide people searches, databases of business, real estate and conviction records, social media sites including Facebook, LinkedIn and Ancestry.com and nationwide news archives. They searched potential alternate spellings and other name variations. Their reporting followed potential leads they found through research, within stories and in information shared by Deutsch during the review.

Finding people after publication, in some cases years later, can be difficult because of changes in residence, circumstance and contact information. Some may not have given their real names.

On the law enforcement beat, reporters may encounter people who lead lives that are not reflected in public records or other sources of information that would help locate them. It is possible that some on our list were difficult to find or reluctant to respond to our review because they are undocumented immigrants, those battling or recovering from addiction or people involved in or around illegal activity.

Some on our list were described discussing crimes in their neighborhoods, and others as relatives, friends or neighbors of victims or as individuals living near or knowing those accused of crimes.

Others we have not been able to locate, though, are described as bystanders, neighbors, spectators, relatives of drug victims, witnesses to news events or related in some way to people in the news. Still others are described in stories as people actively engaged in public issues, such as activists, protesters and marchers. Many individuals on the list are described as local.

Deutsch said in email exchanges with Newsday that “I have no doubt about the veracity of the claims of the sources I quoted.” He also said, “Not a single public official, source, or other interviewee has raised any issues with even one of these stories.”

“It's impossible for any reporter to know whether the name given to him by interviewees on the street--or those reached briefly by phone or email-- is that person's full and legal name, rather than an alias or variation of their real name (maiden names and certain common nicknames/abbreviations for first names are often published by newspapers, including Newsday.). But every one of the names on Newsday’s list was the name given to me by that interview subject, verbatim.”

During the four months of our review, Newsday shared questions and updates with Deutsch as we progressed in the search for individuals we could not locate. We requested notes and contact information. Deutsch sent us notes he said represented all individuals we were unable to locate and responded over the course of the review by email, sharing information he said was from his recollection and notes.

Reporters followed up on all information shared by Deutsch. He did not provide contact information for those on our list. Newsday reporters and editors sought unsuccessfully several times to meet with Deutsch to discuss his reporting and to review his notes together to ensure we were not missing contact information or other details that might help locate individuals. Deutsch maintained that the notes he shared “serve as evidence of interviews” with each source.

Deutsch said he kept contact information in a Rolodex he left behind at Newsday’s main office and in a company-issued cellphone he returned within a week after resigning on Sept. 6, 2016. Editorial staff did not find a Rolodex or other notes at our office, but found notes left at Newsday’s desk at a courthouse pressroom where he worked. We shared them with Deutsch and he confirmed they were his. As per company policy, the contents of the cellphone had been deleted immediately after Deutsch returned it to Newsday.

Maintaining the trust of our readers is essential to our mission.  If we are able subsequently to locate any individuals, we will update our stories.

Latest videos