New Yorkers should beware of scammers when they donate to the victims of hurricanes Harvey and Irma, State Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman said Monday.
“Unfortunately, natural disasters can bring out the most shameless scammers,” Schneiderman said in a statement. “Please remain vigilant before donating to any fundraising appeal.”
The attorney general offered the following tips:
- Make sure you are familiar with the organization and its effectiveness.
- Check the state website www.charitiesnys.com to make sure the organization is registered.
- Give to established charities and beware ones that pop up after a storm.
- Be extra careful with telephone solicitations.
- Check before texting a donation. Check the charity’s website to confirm it has authorized texting donations.
- Don’t respond to unsolicited spam emails.
- Never give cash: Donate by credit card or check made payable to the charity.
If you suspect a scam, contact the attorney general’s charities bureau at charities.complaints.ag.NY.gov or call at 212-416-8401.