St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Carlos Beltran runs to first after...

St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Carlos Beltran runs to first after hitting a single to centerfield off Boston Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz in the third inning of Game 4 of the 2013 World Series at Busch Stadium. (Oct. 27, 2013) Credit: Getty

The St. Louis Cardinals have made a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer to free agent Carlos Beltran, though they aren't expecting him back next year.

General manager John Mozeliak and manager Mike Matheny met with reporters Monday for the first time since losing a six-game World Series to the Red Sox last week. Mozeliak says he expects the 36-year-old Beltran to seek a multiyear extension elsewhere.

Mozeliak said it would be difficult to guarantee regular playing time to Beltran, who had 15 RBIs in the postseason. Matt Adams is expected to be the everyday first baseman, cleanup man Allen Craig moves to right field and top prospect Oscar Taveras figures to be in the mix.

Rookie Trevor Rosenthal opens spring training as the closer.

More MLB news

SUBSCRIBE

Unlimited Digital AccessOnly 25¢for 5 months

ACT NOWSALE ENDS SOON | CANCEL ANYTIME