Knicks point guard Raymond Felton exits Manhattan Criminal Court after...

Knicks point guard Raymond Felton exits Manhattan Criminal Court after being arraigned on Feb. 25, 2014. Felton was arrested on three counts of criminal possession of a weapon. Credit: Charles Eckert

Knicks point guard Raymond Felton, arrested early Tuesday on felony gun possession charges, was arraigned in Manhattan and released after posting $25,000 bail Tuesday night.

The NYPD said Felton, 29, surrendered to police at the 20th Precinct on West 82nd Street in Manhattan at 12:50 a.m. Tuesday.

A criminal complaint unsealed in Manhattan Criminal Court charged him with one count of felony third-degree criminal possession, as well as one felony count of criminal weapons possession.

Court documents stated that an unnamed complainant brought a loaded, high-powered semiautomatic handgun to police Monday night. Law enforcement sources said the complainant was Felton's estranged wife, Ariane Raymondo-Felton.

Felton's wife had alleged the Knicks player had handled the gun during a domestic argument, but she didn't say he threatened her with it, according to sources.

According to the complaint, when investigators took possession of the Belgian-made FN Herstal model handgun, it was loaded with about 18 rounds of ammunition inside a magazine that has a 20-round capacity.

Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Diana Boyar also signed a six-month temporary order of protection that bars Felton from having any contact with the complainant.

After his arraignment, Felton, wearing a black sweatshirt emblazoned with a peace symbol, was escorted by court officers to a black SUV waiting outside the courthouse on Centre Street. Neither Felton nor his attorneys, Jim Walden and Isabelle Kirshner, commented to the horde of reporters and photographers.

A spokesman for the Knicks had no comment Tuesday. NBA spokesman Tim Frank said, "We are monitoring the situation."

The last time a high-profile New York athlete faced gun charges was November 2008, when Plaxico Burress of the Giants shot himself in the thigh. A .40 caliber semiautomatic Glock handgun tucked into his waistband accidentally discharged in a Manhattan club.

Burress served nearly 2 years in prison.

During Felton's arraignment, Boyar set a bail bond that had been agreed to earlier by prosecutors and defense attorneys.

Felton's attorneys also agreed to waive his speedy-trial rights.

With Gary Dymski,

Al Iannazzone, John Valenti and AP. The Dolan family

owns controlling interests in

the Knicks, Madison Square

Garden and Cablevision. Cablevision owns Newsday.

CORRECTION: Former Giants receiver Plaxico Burress began his prison sentence on Sept. 22, 2009. He was released in June 2011. The time Burress served in prison was incorrect in an earlier version of this story.