BUFFALO, N.Y. — Buffalo Sabres forward Kyle Okposo, who has been in the neuro intensive care unit of Buffalo General Medical Center, was released from the hospital, according a report. A Buffalo television station quoted a source saying the Sabres forward was discharged. The Sabres could not yet confirm the report.
Okposo was showing signs of improving from an undisclosed illness, a person with direct knowledge of the player’s condition told The Associated Press on Friday.
Okposo had been undergoing a battery of tests at the hospital since Sunday. He’s been sidelined since complaining of an illness hours before the Sabres game at Columbus on March 28. Okposo had just returned to the lineup and played two games after missing 10 because of a rib injury.
Following practice Friday, coach Dan Bylsma said he had no update on Okposo’s condition.
“It’s something we’re all playing with right now,” Bylsma said. “It’s a difficult situation and a difficult time for Kyle and his family, and one we want to do everything we can to be with him and help him through the time that he’s in right now.”
Buffalo has been eliminated from the playoffs.
In his first season with the Sabres, the 28-year-old Okposo has quickly emerged as a team favorite and respected leader. Okposo spent his first nine seasons with the Islanders before the unrestricted free agent signed a seven-year, $42 million contract with Buffalo in July.
“It’s really unfortunate and scary, and our thoughts and prayers are with him and hopefully he recovers soon,” Sabres defenseman Jake McCabe said. “It’s one of those things where he’d do anything for you and we feel the same way: If there’s anything we could do for him, we would do for him.”
Combined News Services