A Carle Place physician died in October after dining at...

A Carle Place physician died in October after dining at the Raglan Road Irish Pub at Disney Springs in Orlando, Florida. Her husband has sued the resort, alleging negligence by the company as well as restaurant staff. Credit: Google Maps

The husband of a Carle Place physician who had a severe allergic reaction and died in October after eating at a Walt Disney World restaurant has sued the resort for negligence, alleging wait staff had repeatedly assured his wife her “food would be allergen free.”

The lawsuit, filed Thursday in Orange County, Florida, blames Walt Disney Parks and Resorts and the staff of Raglan Road Irish Pub and Restaurant at Disney Springs for the death of Kanokporn Tangsuan, 42, of Plainview. The suit, brought by Tangsuan's husband, Jeffrey Piccolo, accuses the company and the restaurant of negligence.

“Raglan Road advertises and represents to the public that food allergies and/or the accommodation of persons with food allergies is a top priority and that patrons/guests may consult with a chef or special diets trained cast member before placing an order,” the suit states. "[Tangsuan] relied upon these representations in selecting Disney Springs/Raglan Road for dinner.”

Neither Piccolo nor Brian Denney, his West Palm Beach attorney, returned calls for comment Tuesday.

Disney officials also did not respond to requests for comment on the lawsuit.

The couple and Piccolo's mother, Jackie Piccolo, dined at the restaurant on Oct. 5. On repeated occasions before ordering, Tangsuan informed the servers of her allergies and the staff “unequivocally assured them that the food would be allergen free,” the suit said. Tangsuan then ordered a broccoli and corn fritter, scallops, onion rings and vegan shepherd's pie, the family said.

“When the server returned with Kanokporn Tangsuan's food, some of the items did not have allergen free flags in them and Tangsuan and Jeffrey Piccolo once again questioned the server who, once again, guaranteed the food being delivered … was allergen free,” the suit states.

Tangsuan began having severe difficulty breathing shortly after dinner while shopping at Planet Hollywood and self-administered an epi-pen, the suit states. She later died at a hospital.

A medical examiner attributed her death to anaphylaxis due to elevated levels of dairy and nuts in her system, according to suit.

Piccolo is seeking damages in excess of $50,000 pursuant to Florida’s wrongful death act, as well as mental pain and suffering, loss of income and companionship, and medical and funeral expenses.

Tangsuan was a family medicine specialist with NYU Langone's Carle Place office. She received her medical degree from New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine and had been practicing for more than a decade, records show, with expertise in treating sleep apnea, chronic diabetes and high blood pressure.

“We are saddened by her passing and our deepest condolences are with her family,” said Steve Ritea, a spokesman for NYU Langone Health.

The husband of a Carle Place physician who had a severe allergic reaction and died in October after eating at a Walt Disney World restaurant has sued the resort for negligence, alleging wait staff had repeatedly assured his wife her “food would be allergen free.”

The lawsuit, filed Thursday in Orange County, Florida, blames Walt Disney Parks and Resorts and the staff of Raglan Road Irish Pub and Restaurant at Disney Springs for the death of Kanokporn Tangsuan, 42, of Plainview. The suit, brought by Tangsuan's husband, Jeffrey Piccolo, accuses the company and the restaurant of negligence.

“Raglan Road advertises and represents to the public that food allergies and/or the accommodation of persons with food allergies is a top priority and that patrons/guests may consult with a chef or special diets trained cast member before placing an order,” the suit states. "[Tangsuan] relied upon these representations in selecting Disney Springs/Raglan Road for dinner.”

Neither Piccolo nor Brian Denney, his West Palm Beach attorney, returned calls for comment Tuesday.

Disney officials also did not respond to requests for comment on the lawsuit.

The couple and Piccolo's mother, Jackie Piccolo, dined at the restaurant on Oct. 5. On repeated occasions before ordering, Tangsuan informed the servers of her allergies and the staff “unequivocally assured them that the food would be allergen free,” the suit said. Tangsuan then ordered a broccoli and corn fritter, scallops, onion rings and vegan shepherd's pie, the family said.

“When the server returned with Kanokporn Tangsuan's food, some of the items did not have allergen free flags in them and Tangsuan and Jeffrey Piccolo once again questioned the server who, once again, guaranteed the food being delivered … was allergen free,” the suit states.

Tangsuan began having severe difficulty breathing shortly after dinner while shopping at Planet Hollywood and self-administered an epi-pen, the suit states. She later died at a hospital.

A medical examiner attributed her death to anaphylaxis due to elevated levels of dairy and nuts in her system, according to suit.

Piccolo is seeking damages in excess of $50,000 pursuant to Florida’s wrongful death act, as well as mental pain and suffering, loss of income and companionship, and medical and funeral expenses.

Tangsuan was a family medicine specialist with NYU Langone's Carle Place office. She received her medical degree from New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine and had been practicing for more than a decade, records show, with expertise in treating sleep apnea, chronic diabetes and high blood pressure.

“We are saddened by her passing and our deepest condolences are with her family,” said Steve Ritea, a spokesman for NYU Langone Health.

Latest videos

Newsday LogoSUBSCRIBEUnlimited Digital AccessOnly 25¢for 5 months
ACT NOWSALE ENDS SOON | CANCEL ANYTIME