If your child is old enough to stay home alone, make sure the child is equipped with the knowledge to deal with an emergency.
Nationwide Children's Hospital suggests teaching your child these safety precautions:
- Make sure your child knows what to say when answering the phone, and to never say that his or her parents aren't home.
- Explain to your child not to open the door if someone knocks.
- Go over a fire escape plan. Make sure your child knows at least two ways to get out of the home from each room.
- Talk about various emergency situations, including what to do and whom to call.
- Before leaving your child for long periods, start out in shorter spurts.