High school sports could look very different upon return
A document outlining possible protocols during the COVID-19 pandemic for high school sports was issued by a national organization Tuesday, giving a glimpse of what we may see this fall and beyond.
Meet the finalists for the 2020 Newsday Marcus A. Henry Award
This award is presented annually to a Long Island high school student who excels in the classroom and in athletics, and also displays great leadership.
After 2 months in hospital, coach finally comes home
Sharon Baker, the coach of Wyandanch Memorial High School's boys JV basketball team, has recovered from the coronavirus.
Remembering Southampton's LI-record win streak, 50 years later
Southampton's 61-game streak — unchallenged since — covered parts of four seasons and, in that, it is unique. No player was a part of all four teams and many players cycled in and out of key roles.
50 years later, Southampton recalls 61-game win streak
From 1967-70, the Southampton High School boys basketball team enjoyed a 61-game winning streak, aided by the play of "Foots" ...
LuHi's Curbelo claims Newsday Player of Year honors again
The Illinois-bound senior averaged 15.9 points, 6.6 rebounds and 6.2 assists to win the honors for the second straight year.
Brentwood's Riley is Newsday's Suffolk Player of Year
The junior stepped into a starring role and made the most of his opportunity.
Remaining NY state winter championships canceled
Plans are being made to honor the students and teams impacted by the decision.
NYSPHSAA to decide fate of winter championships
The New York State Public High Schools Athletic Association (NYSPHSAA) will decide Sunday and Monday the fate of unfinished winter high school sports championships.
State Federation basketball tournaments canceled
The 'Tournament of Champions' was scheduled for Fordham at the end of the month.
Newsday's All-Long Island boys basketball team 2020
Meet Newsday's All-Long Island boys basketball first team for the 2019-20 winter season.
- Photos: Malverne vs. Center Moriches in the Long Island Class B boys basketball championship
- Photos: East Rockaway vs. Southold in the Long Island Class C boys basketball championship
- Photos: Smithtown Christian in the State Class D Southeast Regional semis
- Photos: Nassau Class AA boys hoops final
From 1967-70, the Southampton High School boys basketball team enjoyed a 61-game winning streak, aided by the play of "Foots" Walker, who went on to play 10 years in the NBA. On Friday, March 6, 2020, members of the team, many of whom still live on Long Island, talked about the 50th anniversary of the feat.
- 50 years later, Southampton recalls 61-game win streak
- Highlights: Long Island Class B boys hoops final
- East Rockaway captures first Long Island Class C ttitle since 2012
- Highlights: Smithtown Christian wins Class D Southeast Regional semi
- Highlights: Baldwin vs. Uniondale in the Nassau Class AA final
- Highlights: Elmont wins Nassau Class A boys basketball final
- On-court incident at high school basketball game contained
- Malverne defeats East Rockaway to claim Nassau Class B/C title
LI's top 100 boys basketball players for 2019-20
Meet Newsday's top 100 high school boys basketball players on Long Island for the 2019-2020 winter season.
All-Long Island boys basketball history
A look at who earned Newsday's top honors since it began in 1963.
Boys basketball past champions
View past champions dating back to 1922.
Boys basketball's 2,000-point club
Only 16 Long Islanders are members of this club