Potential season overlap might put squeeze on LI athletes
Delay in fall sports raises chance that the season schedules will have to overlap in 2020-21, and some athletes might have to choose one sport over another.
State considers rule changes in high school baseball, wrestling
Proposals would affect baseball pitch counts and wrestling weight classes; added game for football doesn't really affect LI
High school sports could look very different upon return
A document outlining possible protocols during the COVID-19 pandemic for high school sports was issued by a national organization Tuesday, giving a glimpse of what we may see this fall and beyond.
Salute to the champs: LI's 8 state wrestling champions
Eight Long Islanders, four in Division I and four in Division II, brought home state wrestling titles in 2020.
Wantagh's Matt Rogers is Nassau Wrestler of the Year
Senior won elusive state title after capturing a third county sectional crown.
Eastport's Redding turned a low point into a stellar senior season
He followed up a bitter disappointment in his junior season with his second state wrestling championship as a senior.
Bay Shore wrestler Rivera is Newsday's Athlete of the Week
He won the state wrestling title at 106 pounds in dramatic fashion.
Podcast: State wrestling championships recap
Gregg Sarra and Andy Slawson recap the state wrestling championships and the eight Long Islanders who won state titles.
Bay Shore's Rivera wins state title at 106 pounds
He's the first Bay Shore state champion since Rob Hubbard earned the 167-pound crown in 1983. Eastport-South Manor's Zach Redding took the 132-pound title and Copiague's Malik Leftenant captured the 220-pound title.
Sarra: Mauriello, Redding have resiliency tested
Mauriello of Hauppauge and Redding of Eastport-South Manor had to go through the consolation bracket to earn All-State status.
Newsday's Steve Langford speaks with high school senior athletes about how they're preparing for their upcoming seasons — even if that means preparing for the possibility of them being canceled
- High school athletes might miss important year of their careers
- Division I 285 pounds: Freeport’s Norris vs. Chenango Forks’ Scott
- Division I 145 pounds: Hempstead’s Mauras vs. Niagara Falls’ McDougald
- Division II 113 pounds: Bayport-Blue Point’s Gallagher vs. Norwich’s Geislinger
- Watch ESM's Redding win 132-pound state title
- Watch Mt. Sinai's Campo win 170-pound state title
- Watch Copiague's Leftenant win 220-pound state title
- Watch Center Moriches' Titus win 126-pound state title
- Division I 99 pounds: Herricks Manfredi vs. Carmel’s Duke
- Watch: Recap of the closing day of the state wrestling championships
- High school wrestling state finals: day 1 recap
- High school wrestling state finals: day 1 recap
- Rogers brothers dedicate titles to their late grandmother
- Riverhead's Moore highlights strong day for LI wrestlers at girls invitational
- Nassau Division 1 wrestling championship highlights
LI's 200-win wrestlers
Every Long Island high school wrestler to amass 200 or more career wins.
- Newsday's All-Long Island wrestling team 2020
- Meet LI's eight state wrestling champions
- Photos: NY state wrestling championships
- Photos: Mount Sinai's Matt Campo earns a Suffolk Division II state wrestling championship
- Photos: Center Moriches's Jordan Titus earns a Suffolk Division II state wrestling championship
- Photos: Wantagh's Matt Rogers earns a Nassau Division I state wrestling championship
LI's state wrestling champions database
Every state wrestling champion in Long Island history.
Wrestling college commitments
Where LI's wrestlers are headed to for college
All-Long Island wrestling history
A look at who earned Newsday's top wrestling honors since the first team was selected in 2007.
SUFFOLK DIVISION 1 FINALS
Hauppauge's Danny Mauriello won via a 3-2 decision over Ward Melville's James Araneo in the 170-pound final in the Suffolk Division I championship.
- 170 pounds: Hauppauge's Mauriello vs. Ward Melville's Araneo
- 182 pounds: Sayville's Lopresti vs. Hauppauge's Tyrrell
- 195 pounds: Miller Place's Bold vs. Newfield's Ali
- 220 pounds: Copiague's Leftenant vs. North Babylon's Hines
- 285 pounds: Brentwood's Castillo vs. Connetquot's Schaller
- 99 pounds: Hauppauge's Manta vs. Ward Melville's Lievano
- 106 pounds: Bay Shore's Rivera vs. Kings Park's Ziccardi
- 113 pounds: Rocky Point's Lamorte vs. Hauppauge's Volpe
- 120 pounds: Commack's Eckerle vs. Connetquot's Wilkinson
- 126 pounds: Hauppauge's Dibartolo vs. Hauppauge's Smith
- 132 pounds: ESM's Redding vs. Connetquot's Otto
- 138 pounds: Rocky Point's Sciotto vs. Commack's Damasco
- 145 pounds: Copiague's Lobo vs. Islip's Whitehouse
- 152 pounds: Brentwood's Louis vs. Newfield's Hughes
- 160 pounds: Islip's Spahn vs. Ward Melville's Cassera
SUFFOLK DIVISION 2 FINALS
Center Moriches' Jordan Titus won by technical fall 18-3 over Mt. Sinai's Jack Tyrrell in the 126 pound championship bout in the Suffolk Division II final on Friday, February 14, 2020.
- 126 pounds: Center Moriches’ Titus vs. Mt. Sinai’s Tyrrell
- 99 pounds: Mt. Sinai's Fahrbach vs. SWR's Colon
- 106 pounds: SWR's Jablonski vs Glenn's Mirando
- 113 pounds: BBP's Gallagher vs. Port Jefferson's D'Elia
- 120 pounds: BBP's Sparacio vs SWR's Pearce
- 132 pounds: Mt. Sinai’s Goodrich vs. Shoreham-Wading River’s Jablonski
- 138 pounds: Mt. Sinai’s O’Brien vs. Hampton Bays’ Orlando
- 145 pounds: Hampton Bays’ Kraus vs. Mt. Sinai’s Shanian
- 152 pounds: Glenn's Giaramita vs. Mattituck's DiGregorio
- 160 pounds: Mattituck's Cantelmo vs. Mattituck's Boisseau
- 170 pounds: Mt. Sinai’s Campo vs. Southampton’s Brown
- 182 pounds: Mt. Sinai's Goodrich vs. Mattituck's Schmidt
- 195 pounds: Glenn’s Vega vs. Mt. Sinai’s Shata
- 220 pounds: Mattituck's Suglia vs. SWR's DeLumen
- 285 pounds: Mattituck's Marlborough vs. Glenn's Kang
NASSAU DIVISION 2 FINALS
Wheatley's Joe Contrastano won by fall, :40, over Seaford's Nick DiCanio in the 120 pound championship bout of the Nassau Division II final on Saturday, February 15, 2020.
- 120 pounds: Wheatley’s Contrastano vs. Seaford’s DiCanio
- 126 pounds: Clarke’s Soriano vs. Seaford’s Murphy
- 132 pounds: Locust Valley’s DeNatale vs. Seaford’s Volpi
- 138 pounds: Seaford’s Lynch vs. Clarke’s Yurdiga
- 145 pounds: Oyster Bay’s Leandrou vs. CSH's Mannino
- 152 pounds: CSH's Hansen vs. Clarke’s Forte
- 160 pounds: Clarke’s Abbatiello vs. Island Trees’ Mastropaolo
- 170 pounds: Wheatley’s Sheinman vs. Locust Valley’s Creedon
- 182 pounds: Clarke’s Deleon vs. Seaford’s Quinn
- 195 pounds: CSH's Gagnon vs. Seaford's O'Hagan
- 220 pounds: Clarke’s Bouyer vs. Seaford’s Luciano
- 285 pounds: CSH's Burdo vs. Seaford’s Brandi
- 99 pounds: Oyster Bay’s Velasquez vs. Seaford’s Godoy
- 106 pounds: Clarke’s Cubero vs. Cold Spring Harbor’s Meak
- 113 pounds: Cold Spring Harbor’s Polo vs. Island Trees’ Romano