New guidance from Gov. Cuomo allows for high-risk sports to be played, if approved locally
New guidance says county departments of health can approve the play of basketball, wrestling, football and other high-risk sports.
Huntington wrestling coach Lou Giani Sr., 86, dies
He developed 23 state champions - an all-time record for one classification — and is just one of a handful of high school coaches in the National Wrestling Hall of Fame.
State indefinitely postpones high-risk winter sports
Because of risk related to COVID-19, boys and girls basketball, wrestling and competitive cheerleading won't have a start date until granted permission by Gov. Cuomo.
LI high schools await state decision on winter sports
NYSPHSAA is expected to announce on Friday decisions on whether to delay the start of low- and moderate-risk winter sports
Winter sports with low and moderate risk get OK, uncertainty remains for others
"The high-risk sports start date continues to be examined and will be revised if needed but is contingent upon authorization from state officials," said NYSPHSAA executive director Robert Zayas.
State guidance soon for winter high school sports
"We're looking at it now — right in the context of what the school infection rates are — so we should have them by November," said State Budget Director and Advisor Robert Mujica.
State task force pushes back winter high school sports
The fall high school sports season is set to begin on Sept. 21. The winter sports were to start on Nov. 16, but that date was pushed to Nov. 30 to give the fall season more time.
Nassau residents rally to try to bring back high school sports this fall
Section VIII executive director Pat Pizzarelli said "nothing has changed in terms of where we stand - we're always open to new information."
LI's state wrestling champions database
Every state wrestling champion in Long Island history.
Wrestling college commitments
Where LI's wrestlers are headed to for college
All-Long Island wrestling history
A look at who earned Newsday's top wrestling honors since the first team was selected in 2007.
SUFFOLK DIVISION 1 FINALS
Hauppauge's Danny Mauriello won via a 3-2 decision over Ward Melville's James Araneo in the 170-pound final in the Suffolk Division I championship.
- 170 pounds: Hauppauge's Mauriello vs. Ward Melville's Araneo
- 182 pounds: Sayville's Lopresti vs. Hauppauge's Tyrrell
- 195 pounds: Miller Place's Bold vs. Newfield's Ali
- 220 pounds: Copiague's Leftenant vs. North Babylon's Hines
- 285 pounds: Brentwood's Castillo vs. Connetquot's Schaller
- 99 pounds: Hauppauge's Manta vs. Ward Melville's Lievano
- 106 pounds: Bay Shore's Rivera vs. Kings Park's Ziccardi
- 113 pounds: Rocky Point's Lamorte vs. Hauppauge's Volpe
- 120 pounds: Commack's Eckerle vs. Connetquot's Wilkinson
- 126 pounds: Hauppauge's Dibartolo vs. Hauppauge's Smith
- 132 pounds: ESM's Redding vs. Connetquot's Otto
- 138 pounds: Rocky Point's Sciotto vs. Commack's Damasco
- 145 pounds: Copiague's Lobo vs. Islip's Whitehouse
- 152 pounds: Brentwood's Louis vs. Newfield's Hughes
- 160 pounds: Islip's Spahn vs. Ward Melville's Cassera
SUFFOLK DIVISION 2 FINALS
Center Moriches' Jordan Titus won by technical fall 18-3 over Mt. Sinai's Jack Tyrrell in the 126 pound championship bout in the Suffolk Division II final on Friday, February 14, 2020.
- 126 pounds: Center Moriches’ Titus vs. Mt. Sinai’s Tyrrell
- 99 pounds: Mt. Sinai's Fahrbach vs. SWR's Colon
- 106 pounds: SWR's Jablonski vs Glenn's Mirando
- 113 pounds: BBP's Gallagher vs. Port Jefferson's D'Elia
- 120 pounds: BBP's Sparacio vs SWR's Pearce
- 132 pounds: Mt. Sinai’s Goodrich vs. Shoreham-Wading River’s Jablonski
- 138 pounds: Mt. Sinai’s O’Brien vs. Hampton Bays’ Orlando
- 145 pounds: Hampton Bays’ Kraus vs. Mt. Sinai’s Shanian
- 152 pounds: Glenn's Giaramita vs. Mattituck's DiGregorio
- 160 pounds: Mattituck's Cantelmo vs. Mattituck's Boisseau
- 170 pounds: Mt. Sinai’s Campo vs. Southampton’s Brown
- 182 pounds: Mt. Sinai's Goodrich vs. Mattituck's Schmidt
- 195 pounds: Glenn’s Vega vs. Mt. Sinai’s Shata
- 220 pounds: Mattituck's Suglia vs. SWR's DeLumen
- 285 pounds: Mattituck's Marlborough vs. Glenn's Kang
NASSAU DIVISION 2 FINALS
Wheatley's Joe Contrastano won by fall, :40, over Seaford's Nick DiCanio in the 120 pound championship bout of the Nassau Division II final on Saturday, February 15, 2020.
- 120 pounds: Wheatley’s Contrastano vs. Seaford’s DiCanio
- 126 pounds: Clarke’s Soriano vs. Seaford’s Murphy
- 132 pounds: Locust Valley’s DeNatale vs. Seaford’s Volpi
- 138 pounds: Seaford’s Lynch vs. Clarke’s Yurdiga
- 145 pounds: Oyster Bay’s Leandrou vs. CSH's Mannino
- 152 pounds: CSH's Hansen vs. Clarke’s Forte
- 160 pounds: Clarke’s Abbatiello vs. Island Trees’ Mastropaolo
- 170 pounds: Wheatley’s Sheinman vs. Locust Valley’s Creedon
- 182 pounds: Clarke’s Deleon vs. Seaford’s Quinn
- 195 pounds: CSH's Gagnon vs. Seaford's O'Hagan
- 220 pounds: Clarke’s Bouyer vs. Seaford’s Luciano
- 285 pounds: CSH's Burdo vs. Seaford’s Brandi
- 99 pounds: Oyster Bay’s Velasquez vs. Seaford’s Godoy
- 106 pounds: Clarke’s Cubero vs. Cold Spring Harbor’s Meak
- 113 pounds: Cold Spring Harbor’s Polo vs. Island Trees’ Romano